Dorico Expression Map

By creating a expression map for the strings of Kontakt 5 the keyswitches are played as note, too! Setting the Keyswitch i.e. “staccato” D#0, the D#0 is played as normal note, too. By playing it live from Midi Input all works fine, only by playing written notes the misbehaviour happens. Are the Expression Maps from Dorico usable for Kontakt?

I’m not sure what you mean. Of course it’s played as a note. That’s what a keyswitch is. The idea is that the note sits outside the mapped range of the sampler, thus acting only as control information. What were you expecting?

The Expression Maps provided by Steinberg will only work properly with the Halion samples supplied with Dorico. Different libraries use different notes as key switches. If you try to use them with a different library, you will probably either get the wrong results, or they will “play” unwanted notes that are out of range of the instrument.

If you want to use all the functionality of a different sample library, you will have to create your own Expression Maps, or find some that somebody else has already made.

To get started, you can use two very minimalistic expression maps supplied with Dorico, which do nothing except sending dynamics to the sample library. If your library uses note velocity for dynamics, use the “Default” expression map. If it uses a Midi controller, use “CC11 Dynamics” and edit the controller number if your library doesn’t use CC11.

In play mode, click the “cogwheel” icon next to the VST player in the right hand panel, and assign the expression maps to each channel. You can edit the maps using the Play menu / Expression maps.

Making a more comprensive set of Expression maps isn’t difficult if you have the technical documentation for your sample library - it’s just tedious, if it is a big library!

To Rob Tuley: Thanks for your answer, but these things I know, it´s not the problem. But found another way… If you create the expression maps first, save and close Dorico, open again, and load than Kontakt instruments as last step, then it works… Very strange…
To LSalguerio: I know the meaning of a keyswitch very well… of course the instruments are so created, that the keyswitch is out of range, the note is played though. I think that Dorico transposes a sample to this note. Why? Standing in the stars. Mapping of Percussion Maps outside of Steinberg instruments reacts often strange too, lot of work for the developers to make Dorico a serious alternative to Avid I think. In Sibelius it´s hard work to do some mappings etc., but at the end it works PERFECT. But Dorico is a great program of course!

Can you attach a sample project that shows the problem?