Dorico Expression Maps and Playback Templates for VSL SYNCHRON-ized Special Editions

Found it. Thank you!

And Happy New Year to you and to @dspreadbury and the Team. :tada: :confetti_ball:

Hi everybody and Happy New Year ,

I have recently started to work on a solo violin piese ( VSL Solo Violin +). I found that if sul pont. is selected, whatever articulation is used after ( let’s say col legno) the expression map does not change to arco ( naturale) if selected, but rather continue sul pont. Let’s say we have this chain of articulations: sul pont., col legno and arco , the last one (arco) is replaced by sul pont. !
Could someone check this ? I asked on VSL forum and a user suggested me to chage the direction to an atribute in expresion map , but I was wondering if it can be another option !
Thanks

Everything went well in the end , thanks !

in playback techniques, you use “attribute” for techniques/articulations which are specific to the note they are over. In most cases these would be for symbols like for staccato, marcato, tenuto etc but don’t have to be. The opposite is “direction” for which the technique applies until replaced by another technique and most often is a written instruction but again doesn’t have to be. The two must be separated by either an “ord/nat” or an exclusion rule in the map which means they can’t both apply at once, otherwise Dorico will look for a technique which combines them and if it fails to find it, will do nothing.

In essence this is how things work and the same applies to harmonics which you asked about on the VSL forum. Except that harmonics are confused a little with there being both natural and artificial harmonics. If you still are having problems on this one, just say what they are – I’ve not had any problems getting VSL harmonics to work with Dorico.

2 Likes

Dear (Paolo),
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me on both VSL forum and here. Coming from other notation software , makes me a bit of a novice at this point. It takes a bit to get used to , but as I replied in VSL forum, everything went well , except harmonics …I cannot add anything now, in terms of the technicality of the issue, but I’ll try to use all the valuable points that you sugested. In case that I cannot get good results I signal you here, or on VSL forum.
All the best

Hi (Paolo),

A I previously said, here and on VSL forum, the harmonics are not working in my file (Solo Violin + and VSL expression map) …I have tried to use after the “col legno” , ord…, modo ordinario, nat., and arco” , on a rest in a previous measure, but still the e-map is not switching from col legno to harmonics ( natural ones). I suspect is just my novice ( basic) understanding of how things work in Dorico, since you were saying that you have no problems …

If you can tell how you are doing, to make this thing work, that would be great !

Hi Bogdan 2 – it’s David here! Paolo was writing on the VSL forum and I’ve only just really looked through this thread now. My post was about about how playback techniques work in general in Dorico. For VSL Synchron SE, I use my own map as I found some things I don’t like in the recent “official” one and it’s possible there may be errors as well. So I’ll check their map again and see if I get similar problems and get back to you.

1 Like

Ohh… :blush:…Thank you David, for taking the time to look into it I have found some oddities while trying to navigate through articulations , but it is also possible to have missed some things …I’m waiting for your input !

ok, I can see what’s wrong. The VSL map has incorrect entries for harmonics.

To put harmonics in the score, you use the little circle which I’m sure is what you’ve done. From the tooltip, you can see that this p.t corresponds to “naturalHarmonic1”. But in the Expression Map the playback technique is actually for “artificial harmonic”. You must edit (click on the pencil) this entry and replace it with the one that says “natural harmonic 1”. If you use the marcato and staccato harmonics then also edit these two.

Strictly speaking, VSL have recorded just artificial harmonics in the library but that doesn’t actually matter for playback. The essential thing is the EM entry must match the chosen p.t in Write mode. If you want to show artificial harmonics in the score (ie if not using open strings), then in the Properties panel in Dorico, you can switch the harmonic type. Incidentally you must select the notes and not the harmonic glyph itself!

3 Likes

Thanks a lot David, for your clear and thorough explanation . This has definitely saved the day for me!
All best and many, many Thanks !

pleasure. As I enjoy working with Expression Maps, I’ve picked up a few things on the way but there are many areas of Dorico I know far less about such as much of the engraving side and then I turn to the forum for help if necessary!

1 Like

Oh yes…, if for you things require to get back to forum , imagine for me , which I recently have started to compose in DORICO :smiley: ! Anyway, I might ask you one thing or two, along the way, if I enter panic mode :thinking: !
Thank again for your kind reply !

you’re very welcome but of course there’s no guarantee I’ll know the answer! If it’s about the VSL synchronized Special Edition, as I’ve done my own maps, I might be able to see the cause of problems as i had to sort out most of them myself by trial and error (and of course got some help along the way from the forum in the early stages in particular)

1 Like

Got it ! It worked , sooo hapy ! Again thanks a lot !

1 Like

I have installed the “Dorico Expression Maps and Playback Templates for VSL SYNCHRON-ized Special Editions” and have two questions:

1. List item: How can I delete the Expression Maps and Playback Templates which I do not use. Since I have installed them they are loaded every time I start dorico.
  2. I f I edit one of these EMs are the y automatically saved or should I save them manually?
    Thank you!

IIRC, you cannot delete any of the default/factory ones.
There is a folder called ‘DefaultLibraryAdditions’ (on Windows down the user/appdata/roaming lane…) where you will find 3rd party Xmaps. Those living there will load with all new projects, but you can manage this folder and also put your own Xmaps in there.

Xmaps you’ve changed/edited in a session will be saved with the current document only. If you want to reuse them you must use export library

Thank you very much! That helps.