Dorico Expression Maps & VSL VI Solo Strings I

1 & 2) That’s how Dorico works. You can make the Symphonic Riot template the default, and then new projects with start with it.

3 & 4) You’re using the playback template for the section strings (L-). The solo strings are not plural (violin vs violins) and have an (S-).

I don’t know if this is the case, but I see that the patch is red in the player. This should mean that it can’t find the samples. With the Vienna Instruments player you should run the separate Directory Manager program to tell it where your sample data is.

Paolo

Thank you to both for your replies.
Using the Directory Manager, all libraries seem to be located where they should be.

Thanks for clarifying the difference between solo and section strings. That fixed the problem of not hearing sounds.

I’m understanding then that I need to create a custom template from what I have and tag it as default in Dorico Preferences.

It’s interesting that now hearing the sounds, the VI Pro screen shows red matrix squares. I’m in contact with Symphonic Riot again, and waiting to see what they say.

Thank you both
Alex

The Solo Strings presets include both the solo strings and the chamber strings, allowing you to crossfade between solo and small ensemble. Not having the chamber strings will leave some red in matrix squares. If you switch to the Advanced view in VIP you’ll see.

OK. Finally solved issues. Now I can write/hear the solo strings.
Now finding some playback issues:
The following screen shot shows a section of a simple string quintet I scored. The VC and DB play a half dotted note like it’s a quarter note (highlighter notes). The sound cuts off way before it “should”.
Any ideas why this might happen?
Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 8.12.24 PM