Dorico fails to calculate correct collision boundaries when dynamics are on notes crossing staffs.

Here is a screenshot showing the issue in particular.

I’ll attach the project file below
Trio 2019 [270219N].dorico.zip (417 KB)

This isn’t a bug. Dorico is not designed to provide collision avoidance in this kind of situation. Where would you like Dorico to move the dynamic automatically to resolve the collision?

I’d say that the most logical place would be right below the lower staff, specially considering this is piano writing, what do you think?

Dynamics are attached to individual staves, not instruments. If you want it to appear below the lower stave, attach it to the lower stave.

According to the structure of music,

• a single dynamic marking can be attached to the whole voices of an instrument using a staff and a grand staff as well as more than three staves
  • a dynamic marking can be attached to a single voice attached
  • on a staff
  • on two staves
  • multiple dynamic markings can be attached to multiple voices attached
  • on a staff
  • on more than two staves

← In a simple expression: dynamic is attached to a single voice or all voices according to the musical structure of phrases.

Please see the dynamics marked with the blue circles in the example below extracted from Gould’s book “Behind Bars”:

Please see the dynamics marked with the orange boxes from the example above.

Technically (to use it in Dorico), I think it would be OK if dynamic markings are attached to the staff where the user entered the notes initially before executing crossing staff.

I wasn’t talking about dynamics in general, I was talking about dynamics in Dorico! They’re either attached to a voice, on the staff in which it’s entered, or to the staff itself. They’re not attached to the instrument. Period.

Sorry for misreading your text and misunderstanding you. I was out of context. :frowning: :cry:

No need to apologise. I’m just sorry that you went to such lengths to “educate” me!

[Off topic]
Dear pianoleo (please take this with a grain of salt :wink:
as a non English speaker I am confused…
My understanding so far was, the term ‘full stop’ is been used in British English as opposed to ‘period’ in American English, as it could sound offensive in Britain.
My ‘knowledge’ deriving from my last English ‘lesson’ on YouTube https://youtu.be/koAHoIwqWig?t=167

@k_b

This is my fault arisen from my stubbornness and my immature communication skill as well as my low level of English.

My long post with picture led him to feel being educated.

I can

• discuss with the forum users,
  • give/receive help and
  • suggest something.
    Without any request from others, I, however, should not educate them.

I understand why he uses the word “period”.

prko,
the best thing is, that you allowed us a look into Goulds book (your screenshot). It is just amazing how complex the placing of dynamics can be and how well thought the answers and solutions are.

k_b, I was trying to make a point firmly; that’s all. In British English we do use “full stop” rather than “period”, but my assumption was that prko was more likely to have learned American English than British English. Note that, depending on who’s asking questions, I’ll sometimes talk about “half notes” rather than “minims” to save confusion (and yes, I’ve spotted your signature!).

Perhaps we’re all guilty of a little over-thinking :wink:

Prko, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with you educating people. I was just irritated that I had caused confusion and you had then spent considerable time putting together an argument that I entirely agree with. If you’ll permit me to give advice - and I note that you’ve not asked for it (!) - it’s that this is a forum about Dorico, not about general music theory. If somebody poses a question about “how to do” something, they generally mean “how do I do x in Dorico”. There are exceptions to this rule, of course.

@k_b don’t believe everything in that type of video :wink:

Most Brits can understand American English pretty well, even if they don’t speak it. After all, we watch plenty of TV and movies made in the USA (just like the rest of the world does).

Yes! :slight_smile:

Rob, thank you for your answer.
In Germany I live quite close to the British Islands, so they tried to teach us proper British English grammar, pronunciation etc. at school. This is 5 decades ago… I do notice that the English they teach at school here nowadays, has not much to do with British English nor American English. It is a kind of ‘we make our own rules about grammar, pronunciation etc.’ teaching their pupils rather confidently plain Bad English. This makes me sad actually - so I am sometimes looking for reassurance on how to speak the language correctly… my daughter gave up correcting her English teachers at school (never correct your teachers) and preferred to stay quite.
As Britain is cutting connections to Europe, the American English will probably make more impact onto Europeans - I don’t know…

Didn’t someone once describe the U.S. and Britain as two countries divided by a common language? :sunglasses: