Dorico file sharing site

Don’t forget you don’t have to use the ,com top level domain. In fact it’s entirely inappropriate for this purpose, not being a commercial enterprise. I use the relatively new .space TLD. The .space domain was created with the intention of it being used by makers and creators, so that’s appropriate, and most names are available, and the cost is usually very low - two or three dollars a year. I use .space for all my websites and for all my client websites. And surprisingly, it does not seem to confuse people.

Hence, instead of a strange spelling which looks like the name of some medicine to me (I actually thought it was!) you can have consonance.space which is not used.

consonance.space sounds great!

1 Like

Shucks. Someone wants $24,888 for www.dori.co :joy:

It’s a scam that works because math, I guess! Pay $X per year to squat on a large number of sites, and hope a handful of them turn a huge profit.

When I get scam calls or emails, I think, “This is so poorly done, surely it’s a waste of the scammers’ time.” But nope.

Ok, scorico.net is settled. More info coming soon, including launch date and an invite for resources. Thanks all.

16 Likes

It looks pretty good Dan :+1:

Thanks Dan, this is a thrill, and it’s going to be an incredible resource for composers, educators, and more. I have some goodies to post, and I can’t wait to see what others have as well!

5 Likes

Great idea. Love the name. I have lots to post when the site is operational.
Joe Curtis.

Dan, I can anticipate my Donation for the website, pm your paypal. It’s interesting too see how people use their notation ideas, tips and tricks through scorico.net. Many thanks!

It’s an amazing idea Dan !

Reminds me of the old days when I started playing guitar and we had the website called MySongboook to share our transcriptions and compositions via Guitar Pro files, with a forum and all to discuss various topics as well.

To make it more fun some mods even organized on a regular basis composition competitions between users, nothing to win but a lot of fun though.
My favorite kind of competitions over there were the Skeleton competitions : the guy who organized it would submit a blank Guitar Pro file with a certain amount of bars, instruments, time signatures changes and section names/indications to inspire us, then we would have to write a composition while sticking to the rules (not adding bars nor instruments for instance, respecting key changes if there were some, etc…).

Could be awesome to revive that kind of spirit and hear how other users compose, see different ways of arranging according to our influences, etc…

I would appreciate some input on setting the taxonomy. I’m trying to think about future-proofing… that is, the taxonomy we start with should still be sufficient if, after a year or so, there are 10,000 scores on the site.

Here’s what I have at present for categories. There will be the ability to browse by scrolling within a category or sub-category. There will also be a pretty robust search box, as well as some filtering.

CATEGORY Sub-category (may also include a 3rd level of category)
SCORES wind/concert/marching band
orchestral
chamber ensemble
solo instruments (probably will make additional sub-categories here)
vocal/choral
other
EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES scales and exercises
theory worksheets
excerpts
PLAYBACK playback templates
expression maps
VEPro Projects
LIBRARIES playing techniques, custom user xml files (with instrument definitions), etc.

And here’s what will need to be submitted with each score. Some of these fields might be blank:

FIELD Description
Title all pertinent title info here, including opus, which will be searchable. No set format
Forces this will be a simple text field under the title. For example: SSATBB with piano
Short description optional text blurb, probably best for educational resources
Created by user’s name (or handle)
Composer
Arranger
Third-party music fonts if not Bravura or Petaluma
VSTs VSTs used, if not Halion
Category/sub-category for organization on the site, and for ease of browsing
Tags for searching
Long Description Optional text block
Date submitted
Dorico version the file was created in

Other types of resources will obviously not require all these fields, and may need other fields. Open to suggestions here. Thanks.

1 Like

Under educational resources “excerpts” should be added. No doubt there are people who put just a little chunk of a larger work into Dorico just to show it to their students.

(also, are we considering “marching band” as “wind band”?)

Updated, thanks. Educational snippets will still need to adhere to copyright laws; I’m not getting into “fair use” waters!

1 Like

It’s hard to tell at the moment how much material will be uploaded. In the beginning the SCORES categories mentioned are probably sufficient, but over the time it will certainly need more differentiation. Music publishers’ catalogs may be of some help with classification e.g. what Henle lists under “Instrumentation”.

I’m amazed at how quickly you get it all sorted out! Do you have a hard-working team in the background?

Haha, no, just coffee!

I’m guessing “date submitted” will be in the metadata

1 Like

Maybe another field for the Dorico version the score was created with?

1 Like

What about Big Band Charts, lead sheets or fake book type charts? Are those to go under Score?

I was thinking a good number of those things would still be under copyright, so I’m wondering how large that category would be.

Yeah, you could be right. But I think it’s possible that someone would post a lead sheet chart of original stuff. I certainly would. But maybe Score>Other is a good place for them.