Dorico for pop/rock/etc bands?

I’d love a 0-line staff option too. I sometimes need that for creating work sheets. For now I’m removing the staff lines from the PDF with Affinity Designer.

1 Like

There’s a file with a 0-line stave attached to this post. Because it’s a MusicXML back, the limitation is that you have to open the file directly. You cannot import it into an existing Dorico project, and you cannot export the flow and import that into another Dorico project.

I can help you: Song structure presentation - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

In the example I posted I used -1/2 for the top setting and -2 1/2 for the bottom setting in Chord symbols/Vertical Position. Probably not the most efficient setting, but I was just playing around with trying to get them centered. In any case, use a negative value, not just 0.

I think is a great solution, thanks to you all.

I actually just made one myself in Finale starting from New/Document Without Libraries. When imported into D3 it remains a blank staff so other players can then be added. It was pretty straightforward to do something like this for example:

The ability to create a 0-line staff directly in Dorico would definitely be a useful addition to the program.

1 Like

Thanks! I had been playing around with negative values, but probably didn’t change the bottom setting enough to get the right result, so I thought setting negative values didn’t work.

Off topic, but nice instrument in your avatar! I can’t quite make it out, but it looks like a silver bell and neck. Is it a King Super 20? Yanagisawa?

While your example isn’t “exactly” what most bands do with Microsoft Word, I think it is close enough that it would work for most of them without much push-back. The fact that you were able to get this to display so well gives me encouragement that maybe it won’t require an enormous amount of new programming to make this an official Dorico feature.

Thanks! It’s a Yanagisawa WO32, silver bell and neck, bronze body. I’ve played a King Super 20 with silver neck for 27 years, and switched to this Yani 5 years ago. It’s a great instrument :wink:

Does anyone know how to move the repeat barline in the example below to the left? (in order to hide the barline at the start of the system)

When I click on the repeat bar line in Engrave Mode > Graphic Editing, handles appear, but when I select the handles and try to move them, it doesn’t work.

And in Engrave Mode > Note Spacing, no handles appear on the repeat bar line.

Hi Stefaan,

It’s a workaround. In the engraving options for barlines choose to show repeat dots only when the start repeat is at the start of the system. Create a playing technique with the needed Barline and move it in engrave mode.

Regards
Rafael

1 Like

Thanks Rafael, I’ll definitely try this workaround! I noticed the white space in the start repeat barline is smaller than in the end repeat barline, is that something I can control when creating the playing technique?

Indeed, when you create the barline as Playing Technique use 2 gliphs (thick und thin barlines) insted of one (final barline) and space accordingly.
Barline as PT.gif

Hi Rafael, Stefaan,

I am really a absolute beginner in Dorico (version 3). Is it possible to give me a recipe that shows which settings I have to change to get the chord layout shown above? Would be very much appreciated if it is not too much work. Alternative, something that I can load into dorico as a start?

Antoine

Hi Antoine,

look at the attached file. Maybe you can use it as start point.
structure.zip (618 KB)
Regards
Rafael

Thanks, will have a look.

Yes, I see that the adjustments are made in the settings in the Engrave mode.
Still, rather cumbersome to input the chords, but again that might be my inexperience with Dorico.

Thanks Rafael! I think after owning Dorico for two years and two months, I might finally be ready to make the transition and leave Sibelius behind… :smiley:

Awesome! I’m actually a Yanagisawa artist. I’ll PM you so we can continue off this thread.