Dorico freezes when trying to connect to VSL VEPRO

Hi,

I’m trying to connect a new Dorico project with the VSL VEPRO server. When I try, Dorico freezes, with no command responding to mouse click. I click the Write tab, and the tab goes grey, but the Write page doesn’t appear. The same with all the other tabs/pages.

Dorico can’t even quit. I invoke the Cmd-Q command, and the “Save changes” dialog appears. I click “Don’t save” (even more than once), and nothing happens.

The Mac console reports these repeated messages:

default 19:52:40.411764 +0200 Dorico 3 AppleEvents: received mach msg which wasn’t complex type as expected in getMemoryReference.
default 19:52:41.935306 +0200 VSTAudioEngine3 AppleEvents: received mach msg which wasn’t complex type as expected in getMemoryReference.

The only way to exit Dorico is by forcing-quitting it. The task manager don’t consider it frozen.

Mac High Sierra, 16 GB of memory. The system is responding fine. VEPRO continues to work after closing Dorico. It even says that there are apps connected when quitting (the only connected app was Dorico).

Paolo

Is this a general problem with VE Pro? Could maybe someone else here on the forum with a Mac and VE Pro confirm that it is working for him/her?

At Paolo, really sorry to hear that. When Dorico is frozen, could you please go to Activity Monitor, highlight the Dorico process, then click on the little cock wheel at the top of the window and choose ‘Create spin dump’. The output of that save as a text file, zip up and attach here.
Also, it would be useful if on the next run of Dorico you’d choose from the main menu ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’. That creates a zip file on your desktop. Please also attach here.

Dear Ulf, the problems seems to be repeatable. It is not happening with NotePerformer, that reacts and plays fine.

I’m attaching the two diagnostic files you were asking.

Best,
Paolo
Spindump-PT-2019-09-08.zip (619 KB)
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (350 KB)

Another sample. This time, it happened after I switched from NotePerformer to VEPRO 7.

Paolo
Spindump PT 2019-09-08b.zip (694 KB)
Dorico Diagnostics PT 2019-09-08b.zip (361 KB)

An update: maybe Dorico is not frozen, but it takes a long time to react. After leaving it alone for a few minutes, now it responds. I have to tap on the trackpad more times to let it respond to a tab selection, or a tap on an arrow to open the instrument’s inspector, but eventually it does it.

Also, there is a difference between tapping on the trackpad (Apple Trackpad 2) and deep pressing to make a click. The latter is recognized quicker than the former.

Again: this behavior is happening with VEPRO, but apparently not with NotePerformer. When NotePerformer is selected, I can tap anywhere, and Dorico reacts immediately. Not so with VEPRO selected. With NotePerformer selected Dorico can quit immediately, not so with VEPRO connected.

VEPRO is taking little CPU when Dorico is connected (from >6% when idle, to ~7.5% when Dorico is connected to a single instance). VEPRO has a lot of instances activated, but only a couple instruments instantiated. The other instances only contain a single empty channel.

Paolo

VE Pro is working for me. It is quite slow to connect. Sometimes you need to switch modes to get it to respond. But it does eventually get there and works well otherwise.

We are extremely busy with lots of raised issues. We will come back on this as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

Hi Paolo, could you please have a look at this thread: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=246&t=167822#p897923
Does the mentioned workaround also do fix the issue for you?

Ulf, yes, changing the long name to something like VEPRO makes things flowing better. Yet, there is still a general slowness, and the trackpad tap is not always immediately recognized.

Paolo