Dorico help information a little on the thin side

As someone who is hoping to switch over to Dorico from Score, I am well accustomed inputting code just by keyboard, so it would be great if there were clearer explanation of how keyboard input works. Yes, I know there is the chart of shortcuts and so forth, but, for example, I am having trouble finding information about how to control the exact octave in which notes are input. Certainly it isn’t the design of the program to force one to correct the register afterwards in a second pass-through. Many other issues are also not tackled in the current documentation, for example, inputting tuplets.

It would be great if there were a tutorial that showed a given line of music to be entered and then the sequence of key-strokes that achieved it.

Dorico normally chooses the closest octave to the previous note for each note you enter, falling back to choosing the note in the octave closest to the home staff position of the clef if there is no previous note. To force the octave above, hold Shift+Alt and type A-G; to force the octave below, hold Ctrl+Alt and type A-G (on Mac, instead of Ctrl+Alt, which you might expect maps to Command-Opt, instead just use the key marked Ctrl for this).

It would be nice if I could specify which register I want the first input note to be.

For example, hitting the note name followed by something like ctrl+alt 5 for the C5 octave and so forth.

This is still a little cumbersome. In SCORE, note input was much easier and faster.

But that is exactly the same amount of steps you’re describing as cumbersome. Perhaps you’re just not used to the new workflow?