Dorico impressions, issues/questions and suggestions.

Hey everyone, I recently made the change to Dorico (from Finale). I have to say I’m very impressed with the workflow, everything from inputing notes to doing dynamics and key changes feels lightning fast and greatly saves clicks.

I’m very much looking forward to the new features to come, particularly related to jazz. Like chord symbols, rhythm slashes and what not. But as of right now, Dorico is already saving me a lot of time and clicks.

All that said, I have a few questions and suggestions. I wasn’t able to figure out how to do certain things (assuming they are supported at this point in time):

a) Is there a way to change an instrument’s name on the staff? For instance, I have trumpets and french horns on my score, the full name they display is “Trumpet in Bb I” or “French Horn in F II”. Is there a way to change it to just “Trumpet I” or “French Horn II”?

b) What’s the deal with the Play mode? Is there a way to make the lanes larger or otherwise resizable (like Cubase’s in-place note editor)? I tried messing around with the MIDI notes in there. The only thing I managed to do was lengthen a note, but that was intermittent, extremely slow, and in no way helpful or functional. Is the Play mode still a work in progress?

c) I noticed that if I select a note and move it with Alt+left or right arrow, they move by their value or the value of all the selected notes combined.
My suggestion is making those notes get nudged by the value of the ‘input/caret grid’, so if I selected a quarter note and pressed Alt+right arrow, but my grid division are eighth notes, the quarter note would only move one eighth note to the right instead of a full quarter note.

d) The shortcut “t” only adds a tie, it’d be nice to have it toggle that. Same for slurs. In fact, I find working with slurs at the moment rather clunky/weird, as if I accidentally press “S” during note input, I can’t find a way to turn the slur off.

e) The shortcuts for for Marcato and Tenuto don’t seem to work for me, I suspect that may be because my keyboard is set to English-International.

f) Are there any plans to have Dorico and Cubase integration?

f) Are there any plans to have Dorico and Cubase integration?

Please see the following, especially the first thread:

Thanks Bob

a) check out Layout Options/Staves and Systems/Staff labels…transpos…
b) Play lanes/keyboard are scaleable but you sometimes have to hover very pricisely along the left edge to get the cursor to show. Otherwise cntl-scrollwheel scales horizontally, shift-leftclick/drag scales the keyboard vertically. Certainly work in progress…
c) agree
d) shift-S should stop the slur…

Thanks!

b) Play lanes/keyboard are scaleable but you sometimes have to hover very pricisely along the left edge to get the cursor to show. Otherwise cntl-scrollwheel scales horizontally, shift-leftclick/drag scales the keyboard vertically. Certainly work in progress…

Thanks. I didn’t realize you had to specifically hover over the darker bit behind the color strip. That said, messing around with the notes there is still really, really slow, rather unintuitive. I’d like to see some further humanization options, CC editing, etc.

d) shift-S should stop the slur…

Thanks, that works for the most part. It seems like it tracks the number of times I press S or Shift+S for the number of slur lines. I think it’d be nice to have visual display of that on the button.

Re: Play Mode - it is very much work-in-progress. We know that navigation and editing is all very mysterious at the moment and the editing functionality is very limited and unresponsive. We hope to devote more attention to it for the next update.