Dorico in orchestra score created a two part notation in Horn 1 where there is only one part

In a new orchestra work score, Horn 1 shows as two parts, See attached, . How to stop this on the score? Same for Oboe. The individual parts do not show the two parts, only the score.
Screenshot 2023-11-12 at 14.19.28

Hi Charlie, that’s a very small extract to be able to say definitively.

• Is condensing enabled in this layout?

• You say it’s a new score, but did it originate as an import in any way (MusicXML or MIDI, for example)?

• What happens when you turn on voice colours? And select a single horn note, and check the status bar display at the bottom left of the window – where you should see the voice to which that note belongs.

1 Like

Thanks, Lillie

I used a Dorico template for the orchestra, deleted the unneeded instruments.
Condensing is not enabled.
The cannot read status bar for this.
I am happy to send you the project, but I cannot share it with the list.
How can I send the file for your eyes only? The piece cannot be public until December.

Charlie

Did you perhaps input in downstem voice 1 ?

No, I managed this without input in downstream voice.
Good question. Mine is how to reverse it. Are there note filters to separate two voices>

What happens if you do the following?

In the score layout, select the whole part (click on a note or rest at the start of the first bar, then do Edit > Select to End of Flow),
right-click on an item in the selection (or do Edit > Notations),
choose Voices > Change Voice > Up-stem Voice 1.

Make a copy. Delete everything except a few bars that show the problem and upload that excerpt. You will likely get a definitive answer rather than a bunch of guesses.

1 Like

Hi @charlie2, @Janus already suggested how to do.
I suggest you also to read this thread, and in particular the point 4., for a more detailed explanation:

@charlie2
You might want to remove your email address from your messages (or at least write out the words dot and at) in order to prevent your email address from being harvested.

Thanks to all. Steven Jones’ solution worked to remove the fictitious second voice in the horn part: selecting the Horn part to the tne of the flow, etc.

Had that not worked, I would have, as Janus suggested, sent a redacted file for others to see.
Derek, I have removed my email from this thread. Thanks for the heads up to maybe beat the reaper. Cheers

charlie, unfortunately not yet:

(picture containing scrapable image of email address removed by moderator)

Here is more information about the status bar, which based on the fact changing the voice solved the problem, would probably have indicated that these suspect notes were in a down-stem voice.

In order to see the voice displayed, you need to select a single note only, not multiple notes or notes plus slurs, for example.

Thank you. Very helpful function. Unrelated, earlier in this thread I typed my email address. Is there any way to delete that?

I can’t see it in any post, so from that perspective your edits appear to be functioning.