Dorico iPad crashes before starting up

Hi folks,

Weird issue, I can‘t open Dorico on my iPad anymore. Yesterday it worked flawlessly but today, everytime I try it crashes. I haven‘t changed anything about the iPad. I tried restarting the iPad, and deleted any app from the RAM.
Also, there‘s a transcription I‘ve been working on on the iPad, since it‘s sometimes more convenient than my Laptop. On the Laptop(Intel Macbook Pro 2014) I have Dorico 3.5. I tried opening the transcription, but according to the program nothing I transcribed yesterday shows up on the computer. Even worse, some of the changes I made a few weeks ago are also missing.

Cheers,
Stephan

Sorry to hear you’re running into this problem, Stephan. You can sort it out by deleting the app from your iPad and then reinstalling it from the App Store, but before you do that, go into the Files app, then into On this iPad, then into the Dorico folder within. Any projects you see in this location will be deleted when you delete the app, so make sure you have backed them up to another location, or shared them to your Mac, or whatever, before you trash the app.

Hi,

since i bought the full license for Dorico on iPad Dorico crashes everytime at starting the app.
So i canˋt use the iPad App.
Until now I didnˋt get any answer from the support team.
What can i do?
Is it a problem with iOS15.5?
Is it something else in the settings of my iPad?
I had to delete and reinstall the app everytime i use it!
Thatˋs no way to use it at the moment.
Hope this can be repaired in a early update.

Thanks for help

Michael

It is a problem of the last update, many hope they can solve it soon, but be sure they will, it is a great team.

Hi @Michael.B

Many people are in the same situation. As Martin has said, Version 2.3 has some serious issues including the catastrophic crashing you describe & problems with iCloud storage.

In the end I gave up on it, as for me it was unusable. I am currently using Steinberg’s latest build (beta) which has reverted back to local iPad default saving & it’s been stable for a few days now. It did crash initially, but that was with a project I’d been using with 2.3. I’d also experimented with the iCloud storage option which I now avoid as it seems to be the source of the instability (or maybe I’m just superstitious!)

If you contact @dspreadbury he’ll probably be happy for you to install the beta, if that’s what you want.

I believe @Martin_Reyna_Zuniga has also been using it with some success.

The issue with the app crashing on start-up may be due to where you are opening projects from, and whether or not the project is still open when the app closes (either because you put it to the background, and the OS decides to quit it on its own to recover resources so you can run other apps, or when you quit the app yourself).

When a project is open when the app closes, Dorico will then try to re-open that project the next time the app starts. I think it may be the case that if the project you had open was opened from a particular location, Dorico may no longer be able to open the project, and it gets into a bad state and it crashes.

Are the projects you’re working on, Michael, located in iCloud Drive, or Dropbox, or Dorico’s own local storage? Are you opening projects by sending them to yourself e.g. via Messages and then opening them from there?

Hi Daniel,

yes it is something with the cloud storage.
Using only Files in the Dorico file folder it works.
So now i have a work around.

Thanks for the tip.

Greetings Michael

I’m having the same problem. So I tried opening files from both local and iCloud storage in Files, but it still crashes. I can wait for the next update so not a problem.

Hi rubberfingers,

maybe it is because Dorico is displaying the last used projects at the starting hub and there are some from iCloud listet and that causes a problem.
Reinstalling the app and copying all files to a local storage and then start the app may help. So all connection Dorico knows stay local.
I am looking forward for an update that solves that issue.

Greetings Michael

I just had 10 identical copies of the same file indicated in the hub, all created at the same time - yesterday curiously, as I was working on the project this morning. When I deleted one all 10 disappeared at the same time. Fortunately there was an up to date copy in the Dorico folder on the iPad so I reloaded it from there. I’m backing up stuff from the local Dorico folder regularly, just in case.
When I tried to load a file from the hub last week in a similar situation (1 of 14 identical copies) it crashed the program permanently, hence my caution this time round.

Just to let you know Dorico for iPad freezes regularly the second time I open my project - doesn’t matter if the project is stored locally or in the cloud (dropbox, iCloud). After deleting/reinstalling Dorico I can again open the project once, and the next time I get stuck at a black screen with the Dorico logo. If I kill the app and restart it opening another project (another version), Dorico still gets stuck. I have to delete/reinstall to be able to open one of my projects once. (I can send the project; it’s large, a musical)

Please make sure you’re running the latest version of Dorico for iPad (version 2.4.10), and if you could choose Create Diagnostic Report from the application menu at the right-hand end of the toolbar, it will create a zip file in the Dorico folder inside On My iPad in the Files app. Please attach that zip file here and we’ll take a look.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (60.2 KB)
Thanks! However I am not sure the report is of any help - I can’t open the program after a “stall” so the report is from before stalling. But I have learned that the problem only arises when I kill the app with the score open. If I close the score and go to the welcome screen/ tutorial links ++, and then kill the app, everything will be fine the next time. So I think I am good now, I will just remember to close the score before shutting down the app.

Thanks for the diagnostics. I’m glad that you’re able to work around the problem, and I’ll ask my colleague Graham to take a look at these logs to see if we can figure out what might be going on.