Dorico is setting the MacOs's System Volume to maximum

It appears that the Mac System Volume (e.g. Internal Speaker Volume for the entire Mac) is being changed to maximum when starting Dorico or sometimes when switching back to Dorico from a different app.

It seems to me that Dorico should be free to set its own app volume (whatever goes to the System Sound Mixer) but should not be changing the Mac’s or other audio device’s output level.

This can be quite painful and possibly dangerous if using headphones, and quite annoying to the family otherwise.

If there is a workaround, I’d love to hear it, and if not, I’d hope to see if fixed in the next release.

Thanks!

Info:
Dorico Pro 3.1.10.1032 (Feb 17 2020)
MacBook Pro 2016 - 15" Mojave Version 10.14.3

Go to Edit > Device Setup, click the Device Control Panel button, and switch off the option ‘Set Device Attenuation to 0dB’, and that should take care of it.

Solved!

Thank you for your quick response! That is wonderful. I can see where it would be useful in certain configurations, and so it is great to have the choice.

Best Regards.

I did not know about this option, thanks Leo! Out of curiosity, what is an example of a good reason to leave this option on? I’m sure it’s included for a reason, but I’m not sure what the reason is.

This could theoretically be beneficial if you use some type of special external amplification and therefore want line level signal exiting your machine when using Dorico.

Not only theoretically. Dorico’s audio engine is derived from Cubase/Nuendo and in professional music studios it is a common demand.

I thought it was my Babyface that was the culprit, thank you pianoleo.