Dorico middle C

In the sub-contra/contra/great/small system, middle C is C1 for even more fun😉

Midi on organs is quite common now. Basically any modern instrument has it. In fact, many organs actually run on midi internally and use a data connection to interface with pipes. I’ve wired up a two manual stack and you solder each contact to a special board, and then just daisy chain the midi cables.

I pre-record our anthems with the midi sequencer all the time so I can start playback and then conduct while we sing. Works a charm and no one is the wiser since no one is looking at the loft.

5 Likes

Isn’t it great? All the awesomeness and power of the organ with the freedom to conduct. I used to dobthe same with a midi keyboard when I was a church music director. Although, it should be a rule that some hymns can ONLY be played with organ accompaniment🙃 I would have enjoyed seeing the faces of organ builders when Bach explored what kind of guts they had😉

1 Like

What is the octave of the middle C in French and Italian? do3 (ut3)? Who defined it? The origin of the C3 of middle C seems to be somewhat unclear, while the Scientific Pitch Notation and the Helmholtz Notation are very clear. Is it the influence of the French style that made Yamaha use C3 as the middle C? I have a feeling that Japanese music theory for Western classical music is strongly influenced by French culture. …

I am French and at school I was taught middle C was C4.

1 Like

It depends upon the pitch classification system one uses. I believe C4 for middle C is perhaps most commonly used, but in, for example, the subcontra, contra, great, small classifcation system, middle C is C1. The important thing is to establish what middle C in any system. Just my 2 cents; probably only worth a penny🙃

Yes but I think we’re discussing here the piano middle C, aren’t we?

1 Like

Middle C, again depending depending upon the classification system used, would apply to all instruments- not just piano. For example, in the Subcontra, contra, great, small system, middle C for all instruments would be designated as C1. The system used doesn’t really matter IMO as long as it’s clear what designation for middle C is being used. Pitch classification is mainly for theoretical analysis/discussion of music. ‘Middle’ C, whatever its label, will always be the same actual pitch. It’s not something you really need to be concerned with compositionally. :upside_down_face:

I think it has to do with the question of which octaves comprising the 128 MIDI notes should be represented on the smaller keyboards. The first Yamaha keyboard using the MIDI notes had only 49 keys. If you count notes bottom up using the ASPN system, then it (and even the larger 61 key Yamaha keyboard) will end up having the upper registers completely cut off (like chopping off 3 or more top octaves).

1 Like