Dorico Midi Export to work with Cubase

My workflow is composing in Dorico (typically piano, vocals, sometimes drums, chords, strings) , then exporting to Cubase to produce the music.
However, the MIDI export in Dorico is including the two piano tracks in one which is a nuisance to split up in Cubase.
I then switched to distribute the scores to 2 pianos in Dorico just for the sake of having them correctly loaded into Cubase, but of course this is wasting a lot of valueable space on the screen and the print-out.
I have tried MusicXML but Cubase treats those files completely different, I stopped going down that road.
Any smarter way to do it?
Thanks!

I was going to respond until you asked about being smarter :slight_smile:

Generally, I would export the piano’s audio instead of midi from Dorico, using the option to export them as separate files. By that I’m assuming that you can load your “good” piano VST(s) in Dorico. Since they use the same audio engine, there shouldn’t be anything inherently superior to doing that in Cubase versus Dorico, and then you can add whatever inserts or sends or whatever you think you need to the original sound from Dorico in Cubase. (Actually, full truth, I do most of that in Dorico too, but its different if you’re going to add vocals, etc.)

Piano’s not so critical, but things like strings, I’m typically tweaking the score to get the articulations and such to work like I need them to, and so I’d want to sound as they will in the final as I compose anyway. I’m saying it’s my general rule to export the audio and not midi. It means when I go to a DAW I’m done with instrument VST, lets me free up those resources, etc.

Hi, what you mean with “2 piano tracks”? In play mode the piano has only one track.

If you mean the 2 staves (upper and lower) of the piano score, you need to activate independent voice playback on the piano track in Dorico (so that you now have two sub tracks in play mode, each assigned to one voice, if you had one voice in the upper piano staff and one voice in the lower piano staff). In this case an import into cubase will create two tracks: one with the upper staff content assigned to midi channel 1 and one with the lower staff content assigned to midi channel 2, or channels 3 and 4 if you have also a vocal track in the export.
here a short video

Dorico exports a single midi file, not separate files like audio export does.

Hi Christian_R,
exactly what I was looking for! Works like a charm.
Thanks so much.

Would be easier to spot this functionality in the export dialog, hey Dorico team :slight_smile:

1 Like

The functionality exists as an integral part of Playback. Your particular use case simply takes advantage of it.

2 Likes

@gt-lund You are welcome!

Basically all happens in play mode: the settings (in particular the midi channels) that you have there will be exported. So make sure that each single voice has its own midi channel (using independent voice playback).

I worked with audio exports before and stopped that a while ago. It’s just way more flexible to produce and master if you have notes in Cubase. You can, for example, take one sequence and copy pieces of it to another instrument to emphasize a part.

But thanks for reminding me! Sometimes that’d make sense, too.