Dorico Music in Quarantine

How did you do notes held over the barline in Dorico? Hidden triplets?

Glad you enjoyed it!

Select the note you want to span the barline. Add a 1:1 tuplet. With the tuplet (and only the tuplet) still selected activate “Spans barline” and then “Number” (to hide the tuplet) in Properties.

For the tick barline in that staff the time signature in force must apply to that staff only (created with Alt-Enter). Hide it if it’s not the first time signature in the piece. Then you can add the barline with Shift-B, type “tick” or it’s shortcut, then Alt-Enter.

The shortcut for “tick” is ’ [apostrophe] which is nicely placed on my keyboard to add the barline quickly.

The edition is now up: https://imslp.org/wiki/Passacaglia,Op.1(Webern,_Anton)
I also made a score video with the playback from NotePerformer, which turned out to be realistic enough for YouTube to put a copyright claim on it.

Beautiful work, again, Hugo!

Haha!

The score looks great! Congrats!

Yes, very nice work!

I have a question, if you don’t mind. Did you use a separate file for the parts in order to be able to put the divisi strings on separate staves, or is there a way to keep everything in the same file?

Thanks for all the nice words! I had to fork it into separate files for the score and parts, and yet another one for accurate playback because Noteperformer doesn’t understand all articulations the way Webern does, and also doesn’t automatically do Solo strings when appropriate. It might juuust have been possible to keep them together but that would involve a lot more compromises and messing around, this way I could make both look exactly how they needed to without worry. As a counterpart to this I did have to keep an admin on the side, of errors that I spotted while making parts and then had to correct in the already separated score file, and then also the other way round after that.

Here’s a link to some homework tracks I’ve been writing for the MITA course I’ve been doing for the last 6 months or so. Quarantine has given me more time to focus on orchestration in addition to the composition process. Everything was written in Dorico with Noteperformer. I’ve only added a VSL Multiband compressor on the masterbus.

http://www.alexgostin.com/mita-journey/

1 Like

Yesterday afternoon I wrote, performed, recorded, and mixed all the woodwind parts for a virtual jazz festival event Kevin Eubanks is doing tomorrow. I needed Daniel’s help at one point as a strange Dorico hang (pretty sure a Halion issue) brought me to a halt.

I have amused myself by composing a couple of waltzes in romantic style.
You can see the video of waltz number two here:

(You can also see a bit of the Dorico score in the beginning.)

BEAUTIFUL! The beginning is particularly lovely.

I also quite like your Étude Polymetrique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OM5gLl9ryU

Thank you very much Romanos!

Oh, this is really lovely… great playing, was totally engrossed (besides cute distraction)… Thanks for posting.!

(dare I say, now you’ve hooked me, where is Waltz number one please…? :wink: )

Thank you very much Puma! I’ll see what I can do. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is my quarantine (and my very first completed) Dorico project: a medley on Star Wars themes. The audio is produced in Logic, based on midi exported from Dorico, but I’ve done as well a lot of good tests with Dorico’s playback engine. I have a standard full orchestral conductor score, but I also exported a more condensed score, to produce the video file. I’ve found condensing features absolutely amazing!
This is the link:

I’m working on many other projects, but they are all in fieri: piano and choral pieces, a concert for guitar and orchestra on themes by Vincenzo Bellini (for a dear friend who is also a great guitar player)…

That’s a super nice medley of themes from the sequel and prequel trilogies! You’ve reproduced the John Williams sound rather well, in an economical fashion that doesn’t fatigue the ear, and that greatly evokes his singular style. Excellent work!

P.S. I notice that, in two or three cases, you’ve written in extra bars where you probably could have used fermatas. That’s just fine by me, but I wonder whether you did that to achieve superior playback? I’m asking because I haven’t been satisfied with the way Dorico handles fermata playback, and I’m wondering whether anyone else feels the same (or whether I just don’t know how to employ them properly).

Dorico doesn’t handle fermata playback. But I’m sure that when they do it will be great.

Wow ! what a thread ! I feel so out of my depth in the presence of so many musicians.

I am very much a beginner in this area - I have written some music, mainly of a classical nature (I tried to write a four part version of Ave Maria, a few years ago when I was trying to pass a Diploma in Music Composition at Trinity College London, but the course was closed before I could complete it - I have yet to find where I put the music I wrote) . When I had to find a new software package - was using Sibelius 7.5, but I had to upgrade to windows 10, and Sibelius was not able to follow me, how glad I was to find Dorico !)

The differences between Dorico and Sibelius are many, and I am still feeling my way. This forum is the best one I have come across - so helpful, and with so much info for even someone like me - and I will shortly be upgrading to Dorico Pro 3, as I can see I will need the extra facilities (divisi and condensing for example) to progress.

Quarantine is a bit more complete for me, as I am in my seventies, and everyone throws up their hands in horror when I suggest going out., but it is a good time to learn something new, and I will be writing as much as I can, learning from this forum and from the help I am receiving.

Thank you

No shame in being a beginner. No matter when they start, everyone starts as a beginner, and a beginner is someone who is brave enough to start a new adventure.

Recently finished this choral composition. Obviously, no choirs will be able to perform it for some time.

1 Like

That’s one thing that has been sort of a big change for me for all these virtual projects. Since we have to play with a click, what would normally be a fermata now has to be written an exact length. I’ve also usually been having to add 4 bars up front for a preroll with Dorico Beep, export audio, then undo.

Finished a pretty fun arrangement yesterday for 5 saxes on “Shade of the Cedar Tree.” Not gonna mention the composer here in case he, his assistant, or manager has a Google Alert set up, but his sax section is gonna record audio/video and surprise him for his upcoming birthday. I’ll definitely post that one once it’s up.

I’ve also been using Dorico this week to create examples for a bunch of pre-recorded arranging, improv, and saxophone lessons. The Captain Black Big Band is unveiling a big Patreon project June 1, so I’ve been trying to get all my materials for it done well before then.

Since our NYC and Philly CD release gigs were all cancelled last week, here’s a link to a chart off the new Captain Black Big Band CD as well as the score I did in Dorico last fall. This arrangement was the first single so it was released at end of March (also under quarantine), but the CD was just released 2 weeks ago and the gigs were all supposed to be last week. Oh well. Sean Jones really plays beautifully on this! (The Rhodes was a last minute add after we saw the studio had one so it’s not in the score.)

A Time for Love - Full score.zip (151 KB)