Dorico Music in Quarantine

Lockdown still on the go where I live so I arranged this for fun. Based on the version performed in the film “Brassed Off”.

Sounds rendered using NotePerformer and video made using the free version of IceCream screen Recorder.

Hi, GeoffBob,

Great arrangement!! I enjoyed it, thoroughly.
Looking forward to listen to more of your music.
Cheers

Hi Marc,

Hearty congratulations & much happiness to you and your family.

Cheers

Florence Price’s “The Goblin And The Mosquito”

I’ve been going through IMSLP to find fun, short pieces to re-engrave. I thought it’d be cool to record the process, or possibly stream it! What kind of nerds would tune in for live streamed music engraving? Who knows. I mean…I would but I’m weird.

There’s some neat staff crossing in this piece and some rather dated notation.

I show some of my 3-Part, 4th species counterpoint examples using Dorico here (at 1:42):

Hello Frank, impressive examples, I love the sound, too.
I noticed you are using ties and slurs alternatively, shouldn’t it be all ties?

Thanks k_b ! I am using the Soundiron Symphony Essentials horns.
And yes, they should be all ties… I didn’t note the difference when inputting at the time (differences that are obvious now). Should have at least been evident in the playback note repetition :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanks for catching that!

Definitely a nice arrangement, I’m impressed at how good NotePerformer functions too.

It’s pretty cool how you had the Dorico input pop up on the left!

It’s pretty cool how you had the Dorico input pop up on the left!

That’s KeyCastr! I haven’t found a similar (free) app for Windows yet. I’m trying Carnac but it’s really clunky.

Hi there! Here’s a short piece I wrote for six harps, played by 15 harpists from Central America. They were so thankful for the neat engraving… just as am I with the powerful software that Dorico is.
Hope you enjoy this musical “shot”… cheers!

Music will be available soon through nkoda (nkoda.com); here’s a sample of the engraving (Harp 2):
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Really well done. Especially the text and layouts.

Really well done. Especially the text and layouts.

Thank you!

Love this!!! Engraving looks great too. I’m still trying to really get my video editing chops together, so if you don’t mind sharing, I’d love to know what video editing software you are using.

Love the diagonal split screen lines!

I used iMovie; it came with my Mac.

Thanks! It’s kind of a trick (workaround), because it’s not a native option in iMovie. I made a PNG the size of the video, with half side on white and the other half transparent, the division of course being diagonal. I imported the PNG to the movie project and used it as a layer on one video; then exported this half-white-half-video as a new video. Finally combined the new created video with the other half.

Thank you. I am glad you like it. Here’s another one:

This one took a bit more work and moved me slightly out of my comfort zone. I consider it more of a musical joke than a serious arrangement, but I did enjoy arranging a rock piece for orchestra.

Hi all,
I am an amateur musician enjoying a lot working with Dorico. Find here two of my compositions written during this lockdown. Written in Dorico 3.5, HSSO sounds and almost no CC editing.

Pandemia: Stream Pandemia by jcj | Listen online for free on SoundCloud
Warrior’s Pride: Stream Warriors Pride by jcj | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

Hope you like it!

Great stuf, Jcj. Keep it up, and thanks for sharing!

Knocking a violin concerto out that needed to be ported to Dorico with lots of new material.

Previous file was plagued with collisions. Should all be gone.

Added audio file (mp3): Dropbox - Rm2 200627) - Full Score (Transposed) - Romanza - Romanza.mp3 - Simplify your life