Dorico not Remembering Vertical Staff Spacings?

Apologies if this has been dealt with already, but I can’t find references to it on the forum. It appears that Dorico 2 is not remembering some vertical staff spacings when a project is saved and re-opened. For example, I’m currently working on a choir project with piano and am using the new divisi feature applied to the standard SATB setup. After manually dragging staves and then using the Copy Staff Spacing command in Engrave Mode as appropriate, I’ve found that Dorico is collapsing any divisi staves (e.g. Sop 1 and 2) so that they tend to overlap (see attachment). Manual dragging of staves also doesn’t seem to change the unwanted outcome. (Strangely, Dorico is remembering the spacing for the 2nd page in the excerpt.) I am using the default vertical spacings for ideal and minimum gaps and have experimented with turning the vertical justification option on and off, but this doesn’t help (when on I have the first option set to 50% and the second to 60%). Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Colin



It’s been dealt with here, I believe: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=139311#p754222

Thanks for this pianoleo. I was assuming it was a bug. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Cheers,

Colin

It will definitely be fixed in the forthcoming minor update. I’m sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks Daniel. 2.1 is much improved and I’m appreciating the speed increase very much. By the way, not certain you know this, but that the 1[ fingering option doesn’t seem to be working since 2 was released (unless I’m missing something).

Thanks,

Colin

It’s working correctly for me.

Hmm. Not for me. I’ve checked to make sure that the option to show the 1[ fingering when entering 1,1 is selected in engraving options, but this doesn’t make a difference. I use a Mac by the way.

Yes, the [ symbol is working OK for me too, CJS. Perhaps you could attach a minimal example project in which you find it doesn’t work?

Working normally here as well.

Thanks Daniel and to all others who responded. Since no one else was experiencing this issue, I thought that it might have something to do with the fact that the only new file I have been working on that included a piano part requiring this type of fingering since Dorico 2 was released was a very large one I imported as an XML file from Sibelius. This score consists of 30 small piano pieces, some of which have three staves. While the imported file opened in Dorico with all of the music in a single flow, splitting the flow at the end of each piece of course fixed this issue. I also was able to remove the unwanted stave in those flows that did not require it (although some cross-stave notes were placed on the 3rd stave - usually in the middle of each system - these could be easily moved to the correct outer staves using the n and m functions).

With all of this in mind, I decided to test the ]1 function in a new file from scratch and it works, which leads me to assume that this function is not working in my current project because of some glitch with the imported XML file (the function doesn’t work in those flows that include the third stave either). This is not a big issue, as I have been working around it by pasting the symbols into the score using the shift X function.

Cheers,

Colin

It might make more sense to copy and paste selections of bars from your imported XML into a fresh Dorico file, and then assessing exactly when it is that Dorico starts refusing to accept the ]1 function.

I don’t know specifically which tickboxes in Dorico’s XML Preferences would affect this, but for what it’s worth I’ve turned them all off.

Thanks for this pianoleo. I’ll try this in future.