Dorico not responding

For several hours, I have been unable to start Dorico. Nothing has changed in my Mac… but all I get is a beach ball, and a “application not responding” in the force-quit window. I have restarted my Mac multiple times, but no improvement. Please help.

Try running eLicenser Control Center and letting it run maintenance tasks.

If you’re unable to resolve this, please go to /Users/your-username/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 2 and zip up all of the files in that folder, then attach it here or email it to me at d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de and I’ll take a close look at it.

I ran the eLicenser Control Center, then I was able to start Dorico once. But the same thing is happening today. However, I did figure out a couple of things. I left the “Force Quit Applications” window open to see what happens during the process.

• if I start Dorico and go do something else while it is starting (check email, etc…) then Dorico never starts.
  • if I start Dorico and wait without touching anything, then this happens:
  1. nothing for about 15 seconds
  2. “application not responding” message appears for 15 seconds then disappears.
  3. first Dorico window appears
  4. “application not responding” message appears for 15 seconds then disappears.
  5. startup resumes normally
    The whole process takes about a minute if I don’t touch anything. It completely freezes if I do anything else.
    I am also attaching the file that Daniel requested. Thank you in advance for your help.
    Archive.zip (42.3 KB)

It looks to me like it’s the initialisation of the eLicenser. You’re also still using Dorico 2.2, and if you’re on Mojave that would explain the delay during start-up. You should run Steinberg Download Assistant and download the Dorico 2.2.20 update as soon as possible – I think you’ll find everything starts working more reliably then.

In addition to Daniel’s observation, I can see that the audio engine is taking about a minute to initialise. During this time it will appear that Dorico doesn’t respond, but it is doing things in the background. I can see that normally it takes about 30s on your system, so it’s quite possible that it is doing some re-scanning because something had changed. A startup time of 30s is rather slow, but may not be unexpected if you have a slow system or you don’t have an SSD. Can you start Dorico again, wait for it to get to the hub window then do Help > Create Diagnostic Report and attach here the DoricoDiagnostics.zip file that it leaves on your desktop. That may tell us if there’s something in your playback setup that is particularly slow.

Thank you both for your help. I am attaching the Diagnostic Report to this reply, and will immediately install the update and let you know the progress.
My system info is:
Macbook Pro Retina 15-in, mid 2014
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB ram
480 GB SSD
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (357 KB)

I can see from this that it’s the eLicenser initialisation that is slow in the audio engine. This is something that is much slower in Mojave than previous macOS versions. You should find that Dorico itself should initialise a bit faster in the 2.2.20 update.

It is now initializing MUCH faster. Thank you so much for your help, Daniel and Paul!

Glad to have been able to help! Do be sure to check the Version History PDF for details of the new features and improvements between version 2.2 and version 2.2.20 as well.