Dorico + Noteperformer + CSS + newly added CSSS = no sound

This is a repeat of what happened when I added CSS to the mix

There was no playback until I rebuilt the whole score one instrument at a time

Now having just added the CSSS library again no sound on playback

Same score just with a new library added

The score is currently all assigned to section players and I haven’t added any soloists yet

I’m wondering if there’s a magic necessary step when new libraries are added?

ok so this stuff is quirkier than my neighbor’s dog

just on a hunch I went and got my headphones and plugged in to see if there was sound there and … voila!

and there’s sound when I unplugged them

There’s sound from anything assigned to BBC SO Core but nothing from CS strings

In Noteperformer the CSS dots light up occasionally but still no sound

When I shut everything down and start over I get this one

Pretty sure my MacBook Pro has a dybbuk living in it making chaos

On a hunch I quit and restarted Dorico & Noteperformer and it seems to be playing CSS but there was also a sound like a tuned snare drum which I traced to the flute. In Noteperformer the bbc so flute was blinking away on the flute part but emitting the strange noise instead

I copied the line into another staff and deleted the flute then added it back in and now it’s a flute again so that’s something anyway

On the other hand the piano I loaded into NP isn’t playing

Try loading up Kontakt without all this and see if CSS and CSSS are working without any NotePerformer and Dorico. The “missing content” error can suggest that your library isn’t installed correctly.

Ok and thanks

I’m currently downloading css woodwinds so will leave it alone for now

This is basic but when I’m using Dorico + NotePerformer is Kontakt even part of it?

When that window popped up I was wondering if maybe I’m supposed to run Kontakt in background

You don’t have to run Kontakt yourself in the background to use this, but what NotePerformer is doing is loading up Kontakt in a hidden background window (that you can’t see) and loading CSS and CSSS inside it. When you get that error message it is usually caused by NotePerformer running Kontakt and trying to load CSS or CSSS and Kontakt displaying some kind of error when CSS or CSSS loads. Because it is in a hidden window it can’t show you the actual error from Kontakt, so NPPE just shows you that more generic error that indicates that something went wrong. But if you try starting Kontakt itself and try loading CSS or CSSS you should see the actual error that may directly indicate what the problem is.

Even if it drives me nuts honestly this stuff is pretty intriguing. NP “loading up Kontakt in a hidden background window (that you can’t see) and loading CSS and CSSS inside it” makes me want to see what’s going on

Honestly I would pay somebody to do all of this if I knew someone in the area. Once it’s done it will be a great thing I’m sure

But already the playback w css strings in NP has obvious flaws

With the legato marking some of the lines are mud, then you take legato out it sounds staccato and the first thing you think is it needs legato

Even if you could see the Kontakt windows (even if they had a way for you to do that), you wouldn’t necessarily get a lot out of it, and could potentially break things, so it is hidden for a reason.

NPPE usually has to load up a bunch of copies of the same library for layering purposes (ex. for fast passages to layer legato with staccato to try to prevent it from becoming a blurry mess). Probably it also loads an instance for each articulation so that it can re-balance the articulations individually. Then it routes MIDI to each instance, and takes the audio output and rebalances it to match as closely as possible the audio generated by the built in NotePerformer synthesis.

This does end up using a lot more memory than it would to just run the samples normally due to the multiple copies of things that NP needs to rebalance the individual articulations. So it might need to load 10 or 15 copies of the 1st violins where you would normally just use one copy.

Most of this fancy stuff is really just there to essentially correct deficiencies in the programming of the sample libraries where the vendors themselves don’t care so much about programming them in a way that gives consistent enough results, and don’t necessarily have a built in way of doing agile legato for fast passages, where regular legato would fall apart. CSS is one of the most consistent libraries out there in general and is pretty good at the agile legato stuff already, so most of this plumbing is having to do more heavy lifting with other libraries.

Is agile legato something you have to put in as a marking w Dorico/NP or is it all happening in the background?

In quicker passages the legato really drags the strings down but without it it’s comical

The other thing I hadn’t mentioned is that there’s an effect only in the strings that sounds like music or voices being played backwards

Not sure how else to describe it

Thanks by the way all of this is mysterious

When you see an old guy squinting at his iPhone wondering what the hell is happening that’s a pretty good snapshot of who I am

1 Like

The “agile legato” is something that happens in the background as far as you are concerned with NotePerformer. In the old day samples always did a poor job of doing things like runs and other rapid passagework, because regular legato would be too slow at responding and the passages would become mush. So people working in DAWs would use tricks like layering legato runs with a staccato run playing the same thing, and/or adjusting the attack time of the samples, and/or layering trills cut short, to give the individual notes definition in the run. These are the same techniques that NP would use.