Dorico + NotePerformer + Iconica Sketch error: audio files are missing

I’ve been using Dorico 5.1 (Windows), playing back through NotePerformer and using a mixture of built-in NP (clarinet, bassoon) and Musio Cine Series, via NPPE (flute, horn, strings).

That all works fine, but I thought it would be interesting to see how Iconica Sketch sounds in NP.

However, after installing the Iconica engine in NPPE, on adding any instruments I get an error from HALion Sonic:

Some audio files are missing. Please check installation.

Where/what should I be checking here? None of the instruments (e.g. flute) in NPPE produce sound (though I can see them being “activated” during playback) - though strangely NPPE still seems to assign memory for them!

As mentioned above, NPPE has no trouble locating and playing the Musio samples.

In addition, I can use Iconica directly in Dorico (i.e. not using NP). Opening the HALion Sonic application directly also loads the audio files.

If I open the plugin from NPPE I get this:

but (a) I’m not sure what I might try setting here to get it to locate the sounds and (b) it is warning me that any changes would be lost anyway.

Any ideas? The only thing I can think of that might be relevant is that Dorico is installed on the C drive but NP is installed on D

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum @rowlhouse .

That with NotePerformer not being installed on C: rings something in my memory. I don’t know if that still is a problem, but in the past there was a problem with exactly that. Could be that it got fixed in the meantime, I can’t remember.

And where are the HALion and Iconica sound files installed, all on C:?
If in doubt, open the Steinberg Library Manager. On the right side is a “Details” button which shows then the path for each vstsound file.

I’m confused. Are you playing with Iconica (and the Iconica NPPE) or with Iconica Sketch (and the free Iconica Sketch NPPE) because it appears you are searching in the Iconica Sketch folder for a Solo Flute (and I’m not sure the Sketch variant provides solo instruments).

Ulf - Thanks!

Regarding the directory - I couldn’t see anything relating to this in the Dorico->Library->Library Manager - is this where you meant?

However, I have the Steinberg Installer download directory set to D:\Steinberg so Iconica Sketch is in D:\Steinberg\WIN64\Iconica Sketch (Presets and Samples .vstsound).

But… until I checked to answer your question, that directory was actually empty, even though Steinberg Installer said that Iconica Sketch was installed! So it’s populated now (I forced reinstall through the Steinberg Installer), but still Dorico/NPPE doesn’t load it (I restarted Dorico/NPPE)

After looking some more (because I was wondering how it was that I had previously been able to play with Iconica Sketch directly in Dorico), I found the SMT_038_Iconica_Sketch_Samples.vstsound file in

C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALion\VST Sound

This has the same size as the one in D:\Steinberg\WIN64\Iconica Sketch but is from December, so presumably installed previously.

I also found the Presets file (SMT_037_Iconica_Sketch_Presets.vstsound) -
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound

So it looks like Iconica was previously installed on C, but is now installed on both C and D drives.

As I mentioned, when Halion Sonic7 is opened from NPPW, it shows the “No Macro Page Found” error, and over on the right hand side it shows a browser which includes Iconica Sketch. I was unsure what the actual location was of everything under “VST Sound”, but am now sure it’s the C: locations mentioned above, because removing the SMT_038 files from there (Samples and Presets) results in the Iconica section disappearing/becoming empty when opening Halion Sonic7 from NNE…

Derrek - well spotted - and now it (Iconica Sketch) works!

Many thanks to you both!

1 Like

Just to mention it, I meant the Steinberg Library Manager, it is a little utility program which gets installed together with the Activation Manager and Download Assistant.
The Library Manager is also responsible for moving libraries and registering them. When you move sound libraries to a different location, the Library Manager does the moving but also keeps in the original directory (C:\ProgramData\Steinberg.…) symbolic links to the moved files. With that trick nothing gets lost no matter where it might get moved to.

1 Like

Ah great - thanks!