Dorico only starts after PC boot

Many thanks, Ulf. Super! :slight_smile:
Is it possible to make this the default? It seems to be a per-project setting.
FWIW, in order to reopen Dorico to make this change, I had to kill the background process. Having closed it again, I do not see this process.
David

You can make that silent template default for every new project that you create. You can do somewhere in the Dorico preferences dialog.
Even with the silent template, the VSTAudioEngine process shall still be around but using much less resources.

@Michael_Seltenreich hello,
I think that you could skip the Windows Restart step. :slight_smile: Just you need to check if Dorico, or the VST AudioEngine (or both) are active after closing Dorico.
You can do this by using:
1, The integrated Task Manager
2. The third-party Process Explorer 64 (The most recommended way)

• It is a portable app and doesn’t need to be installed
  • You must be sure that it always started As an Administrator
    / Right mouse click over the procexp64.exe > Properties > Compatibility > (Check) Run this program as an administrator > OK/
    If something related to Dorico is active you should use the Kill Process, or the Process Tree (if more than one process) Here is a screenshot:

Then you should be able to start Dorico again without a system restart.
If the solution provided by Ulf : Dorico only starts after PC boot - #13 by Ulf doesn’t work for you, then the cause of the problem could be the eLicenser. I that case you could try the following:
Download the older eLicenser version from here:
https://download.steinberg.net/downloads/Archive/eLC_6.11.10.272/eLicenserControlSetup.exe
Uninstall the version you are currently having and install older one. Then check if you are still having problems with closing Dorico.
Before I’ve had some issues with Dorico (similar to yours) and other apps because of the newer eLicenser, so I’m sticking to the one I did provide above and everything works just fine. :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.9 MB)
Hi here is my Diagnostic report. Hope it is useful

Hi Nic_62, thanks for the data. It does not contain any crash dumps, but it some cases the audio engine log is incomplete so it did not shut down properly. So it must have been hanging which in turn exactly leads to such situation where you can’t launch Dorico again, because it can’t communicate to the zombied audio engine anymore. In that case you don’t need to reboot, but just kill the VSTAudioEngine process.
Please grab the tool Process Explorer - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn as it is more reliable and powerful than the TaskManager.
If you encounter that problem again, please have a look in Process Explorer for the VSTAudioEngine process. Is it shown as “not responding” then? If so, do a right click on it and choose “Create mini dump”. Finally provide me that dump file.
To end the process, simply click “Kill process” and restart Dorico.

Just wanted to say this was happening to me as well. Like @david-p I had to kill the background process to get it to start.
I had restarted my computer the day before and I hadn’t used Dorico since then, so I don’t know why it would be running in the background.