Dorico or daw for making these type of classical music?

how do you call this music? that’s what i like listening to and could take inspiration from to create music.

noteperformer would be neat cause it requires less work than daw. but then id have to learn scores A LOT. perhaps TOO much. until im even able to make music… very bad. id be faster with daw probably in the meantime?
i could use dorico with midi recording. ive seen the videos how they show how they improved it in version 4, but i dont know if its good enough?
and if im real time recording, why not doing all in daw? wouldnt have noteperformer, thats for sure. but ive also heard that there are many ways to make music production in daw much simpler than 5 years ago or so.
i dont think i want to invest learning scores A LOT for a “try and see if i like it hobby”.
oh and btw. noteperformer does not play instantly with dorico, is that normal? are other notation software faster?

my reading and writing notes skills are very bad. learned it while learning instrument when i was younger. tried learning scores for 1-2 years. i was the only one who learned nothing after learning it.

have a nice day

If I may ask - what instrument did you learn? And how old are you?

According to the NP website, about a 1 second delay is normal as the software scans your music to determine how to play it back - all v clever AI stuff going on I think.

The OP started off his or her last thread complaining about the rhythmic key assignments and has progressed now to wanting (it appears) Daniel & Co. to turn Dorico into a DAW and circumvent the rhythmic keys and step-entry altogether. I’m not sure there is a logical connection there.

Composing music is not a task for the lazy no matter how much it can be automated.

Have you watched Guy Michelmore’s channel on YouTube? https://www.youtube.com/c/ThinkSpaceEducation

Guy specializes in film and video game music, and seems to work predominantly in Cubase (and Logic) but he’s also a big Dorico fan. I think you’re missing a trick if you don’t get to grips with music theory since the payoffs are a deeper understanding of how it all works, which will help you whether you use a DAW or Dorico. At least that’s what I think.

Another really excellent channel is Gareth Green’s Music Matters channel

Gareth is the teacher so many of us wish we’d had to start with.

You’ve made a wise decision joining this forum as part of your musical journey. Bon voyage :sailboat:

1 Like

a croatian instrument. like mandolin. learned it for 5 years i think. im 29 now.

If you’re not specifically interested in notation, and communicating your music to players via the page, a DAW is a better tool for you. Much more direct contact with the sounds.

Music-making by ear preceded notation in every way, until some intellectual developments in the 20th century, and of course now with electronic technology.

[Edit: And now I see this has been said in many different ways in the other thread.]

I would say that Dorico is not currently the tool for you, as it takes music notation as a starting point. I would suggest messing around with a DAW (forget note performer for now) and just get better at what you want to do. Perhaps you’ll learn the necessary musical theory as you go along. Dorico will still be there for you if/when you move to notation…

4 Likes