Dorico Playback Examples ~ Any Available?

Hello Everyone,

Are there any examples of playback by Dorico: official samples, user examples or otherwise?

I am sharing my very positive experiences, of Dorico within the original and long-standing Garritan Community, (not the MakeMusic ones) and a question has arisen of playback examples.

I will have a go at generating a quality playback but although highly experienced with Finale, Sonar and other programs, I’m a newbie with Dorico and HALion. Also it will take some time for me to produce a sharing score with a quality of playback that can show Dorico’s abilities. I’m hoping there are some exisiting examples to start with somewhere.

I think this could be an important consideration for promoting Dorico, a selection of playback examples showcasing Dorico’s playback capabilities.

Does anyone have any ready they would like to share?

Best wishes,

Michael

I made a demo this morning, using only the default Halion sounds and settings, which I thought sounded ok. Absolutely no tweaking to the midi, and no changes to the notation in order to “help the samples”. The Scherzo from Schubert’s 15th String quartett. Project, mp3 and pdf is here

Just a curious onlooker here…

Wasn’t there some early discussion about the possibility of that specially written piece by Thomas Hewitt Jones, performed at the Dorico launch event in London, being made available as a ‘working example’ for users to study.? I’m taking it, that hasn’t happened yet…

Wasn’t there some early discussion about the possibility of that specially written piece by Thomas Hewitt Jones, performed at the Dorico launch event in London, being made available as a ‘working example’ for users to study.? I’m taking it, that hasn’t happened yet.

Please see:

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=246&t=103922&p=570681&hilit=Thomas+Hewitt+Jones#p570681

Re: Demo Projects

Postby Daniel at Steinberg » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:06 am

I’m sorry, there are no demo projects in the initial build. We were going to include Thomas Hewitt Jones’s DORICOverture piece, which you may have heard at the launch event on Tuesday in London, but we didn’t get clearance from his publisher in time and we didn’t have a chance to put another file in instead. We will definitely add both DORICOverture and some other demo projects before the next update.

Thanks Bob

Hello Fratveno,

Thank you so much for that excellent example. It sounds great and, as you say, it’s straight from Dorico without any ‘manipulating’.

I’ve posted that example in the Garritan forums and have given you full credit for the sample.

Thank you again … really excellent.

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael,
Have you had any interest from the forums you use on creating Expression Maps for the Garritan sounds? I posted a request on the MM Garritan Request Forum (figuring usually the sounds’ makers make the support files for using their sounds in major notation programs), but MM responses to items on the Garritan section do not get the attention that similar posts on the Finale Forums do.

Regarding Xmaps for Garritan, I doubt that MM will ever offer anything for programs other than Finale. Their attempt to supply a solution for the GPO5/Garritan Orchestral Strings extension was rather puzzling… I tested this with a client for fun last week, and it does work. I’m attaching the test here in case it may throw some light…
GPO-GOS-V1.zip (119 KB)

Here’s another playback example, the start of Poulenc’s flute sonata. As before, no midi editing, the audio was exported directly from Dorico. The two ALT renderings were done the same way, but used Chris Hein Woodwinds, flute 1 (with a custom Xmap) and the Garritan CFX piano (normal, classic). The ALT-ST uses the Garritan Steinway (Basic)

Here’s an excerpt from Mozart Serenade for Woodwinds (k361). I did this using Vienna Instruments. No special MIDI editing.

I used the existing Cubase expression maps and presets with the following changes to the expression maps.

1. volume dynamic changed to CC11.
  2. I used sampled whole tone trills. This required duplicating the pt.trill.whole technique and calling it Trill, and then placing the trill playing technique instead of using trill ornaments.
  3. I also used the progressive vibrato. This required duplicating the progressive.vib technique and calling it Vibrato.

2 and 3 are a workaround until we can define our own techniques.

The instruments were placed in the Vienna MIR Pro Teldex studio with the MIRx settings. I purposely didn’t make any mixing or dynamics alterations from the score except I increased the level somewhat but proportionally on all instruments. And there are no other plugins used.

Hello Derrek,

I haven’t heard anything about creating expression maps for Garritan sounds.

I understand what you mean about the forums you mention.

Although I haven’t yet had a chance to explore the ‘Expression Maps’ subject, I hope something comes up for those who would like them available to them.

Best wishes,

Michael

Hello again Fratveno,

Thanks you so much, this is amazing. :smiley:

I posted your examples and, as before, have given you full credit for your work.

Best wishes,

Michael

Hello dbudde,

Thanks for sharing your example; it’s wonderful.

I’ve posted it and given you full credit for your effort.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Michael

Why do you post these on another site? Just provide a link back to this thread. The reason I ask this is that you aren’t providing the same context as what was posted here. And if there is followup in this thread then that won’t get propagated elsewhere without a lot of work on your part.