Dorico Playing Techniques limited to how many Entries?

I have a need to create quite a few custom playback techniques but there seems to be a limitation of how many can be entered or some other problem… In the example below, click on Playback Techniques from the Library Menu and the Edit Playing Techniques window pops up. Within this window go to the Playback Techniques and click on the edit button. It is here I am seeing a problem whereby when a new item is entered, a previous entry disappears. To see this problem scroll down to “Rul_F#0” and try to add “Rul_F#2”. The idea is to have Rul_F#0, Rul_F#1, Rul_F#2, Rul_F#3, Rul_F#4 all present, but adding the missing one seems to cause one of the others to be deleted.
Cymbal Test 5 Someting Working.dorico (1.1 MB)

Rather than creating your new playback technique based on an existing one, try clicking the left-most button in the action bar to create an entirely new one.

I must be misunderstanding, as all the Rul_D#0, etc. as in my example–there are over 30 of them --are all new and not based on anything. They were made by using the left “+” button “(New)” and NOT the right button (++") “New from selection” in the indicated popup.

Interesting. I think the dialog must somehow be losing track of one or more of the new playback techniques you’re creating in the dialog session, but I can’t reproduce that myself. In the meantime, I suggest you confirm the dialog after the creation of each playback technique. I know this adds some extra time, but you can use the jump bar to quickly reopen the dialog: open the dialog via the jump bar (type J and enter playback techniques, then hit Return), then to reopen the dialog right away after you confirm it, simply type J followed by Return.

Hi Daniel,
I have been doing the method you suggested since I started on this so as to see things in alphabetical order which is how this anomaly was spotted in the first place.

Have been doing this boring, repetitive entry on a laptop with only 16g memory, (but still have 4g free). Somehow this maybe the problem, as I moved this file to my studio computer with 128g memory and was able to get all the entries I needed without any disappearing. Then moved the file back to the laptop and everything was there.

It’s looking like a one-time anomaly on my small computer.

Sorry to waste your time on my computer problems! Thanks for helping.

No, I don’t think it’s a problem on your computer – there’s some kind of problem in the dialog that you can trigger with a certain set of actions, but I wasn’t able to pin it down this morning when I was looking at it. I’ve made a note to remind me to spend some more time looking at it at a later date.

I think you are right! Even though I got all the entries I needed in this 2nd Playing Techniques window, I then moved to the first Playing Techniques window and tried to enter corresponding entries here also, and the same problem is happening there also: Put a new entry in and some other entry disappears. I’m doing this on the computer with 128g memory. So seems something is wrong here. Maybe I need a strong cup of coffee!

Hopefully you’ll find that provided you add them one at a time (i.e. invoke the dialog, add one, confirm the dialog, and repeat that process), this will work reliably.

I’ve tried one at a time endlessly. Wheat eventually works is entering the same one about 10 times. I have no idea why, but at least I’m not stuck.

I’m not suffering from quite the same problem, but mine is similarly related to playing techniques. For the most part they show up in the techniques pane in almost alphabetical order - but some are out of place. I’ve created quite a few new ones to use as add-ons in expression maps, most of which are in the Common pane. It looks a bit of a jumble. It would be great if we could create extra categories (that work with specific plug-ins) - also if they showed up consistently in alphabetical order.

The Playback Techniques do show up in alphabetical order once you click OK and then go back into it. They just don’t show in alphabetical order as you enter them one after another without click OK.

Looking at my sample libraries, I have several thousand different playback techniques and only the most common are already programmed into Dorico. I just don’t have time to create all thees playback techniques in Dorico so I came up with a generic solution whereby I defined the entire keyboard coded to the actual MIDI notes: For instance, in Percussion Maps, Playing Technique Rul_C0 is created which then references an identical Playing Technique Rul_C0. For Percussion Maps these all need to be defined as “Attribute” (as I found out!) and in creating the Percussion Maps, I use Rul_C0 as the Playback Technique for C0 MIDI note 24. So in writing the score I just need to know which keyswitch I need for a particular articulation. It’s not intuitive and I must put notes in score indicate what Rul_C0 keyswitch is doing on a particular instrument.

Yes they do, in the playing techniques manager, but I’m talking about the playing techniques pane on the right hand side where you have the various techniques for Common, Wind, Brass etc.

Yes, all these playing techniques show up in the right hand panel. I’ve had to create two sets: one for Attributes and one for Direction. This setup enables the creation of any playback technique regardless of what it’s called in any imported expression map. The BIG downside is that I have to notate in the score what (for instance) Rul_C0 articulation is being triggered in that specific instruments map. Certainly, this is far from ideal, but I have literally 1000’s of articulations in Expression Maps & Percussion Maps which are none of the ones included in Dorico and I want to use them in Dorico score playback. So it’s a workaround for using Dorico in composition rather than it’s intended purpose, notation. But it works!

I’m slightly surprised you need both attribute and direction versions of the same playing techniques. You can already make a direction behave a bit like an attribute by giving the playing technique a duration (with alt-shift-right). So, for example, this has no duration and needs to be cancelled:

But this only applies to the notes under the line:

1 Like