Dorico plays everything a second lower in pitch

Hi all

Since a few days Dorico started to play all of my pieces on a pitch a second lower from what’s written. This new score, for example, is for only female singers, there is no transposing instrument or anything. But I write a C and hear a Bb. What’s going on?

Thanks

Please go to Edit > Device Setup and change the sample rate to a different value, wait 3 seconds and change it back to the previous value. Then close the dialog and it shall be fine again.

Several people have reported having this same problem recently and, while the fix is easy, why is it happening in the first place? Just curious.

I’ve had this happen 2 or 3 times. I never did pinpoint exactly what caused it, but it sure freaked me out the first time as I was on a writing deadline. If the system sample rate and the rate specified in Dorico don’t match this can happen, so I just assumed some other program caused a change as I often have multiple audio programs open at once. I don’t think I’ve ever had this occur when only Dorico is open, so I suspect user configuration, or another active audio program is usually the culprit.

There is always some other program that takes over control of the audio card, if even only temporarily, that then changes the samplerate to suit its own preferences. Then you go back to Dorico, and suddenly things sound off because the settings were changed by the other program. It’s not Dorico’s fault.

Ah, of course. That’s the reason I’ve never had the problem. The only other programs which I use (Finale and Sibelius) don’t change these settings.