Dorico Pro 3.5.11 Condensing Group From Bar to Bar

Hello Dorico team,
I hope you are all well! :slight_smile:
I would like to ask you something about the group condensing feature.
Is it possible condense divisi group (Violins I), let say from bar 16 to bar 24, but the rest (from bar 1 - 16 and from 24 - end) to remain on different divisi staves?
I was trying to find some information about that in the manual, but without any success. I hope it is possible! :slight_smile:
If it’s not possible, please, consider this post a Condensing Improvement Request!:slight_smile:

Thank you in advance! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

Yes, it’s possible. You can use condensing changes to do this.

1 Like

Daniel hi,
Thank you very much for the help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz

Yes, it’s possible. You can use condensing changes to do this.

Daniel hi,
May I ask for a small improvement of the Manual Condensing part of the dialog?
If we have divisi separated on 2 or more staves and then we create single staff Manual Condensation it always adds staff 1 to up-stem voice, then you can manually add the rest staves to the voice you need, in my case down-stem voice, but it is not possible to move staff 1 to the down-stem voice, too, in case we need all notes to share the same down direction.
It is possible to add them all to up-stem voice, and then Flip the direction, but this is additional step We have to do…
So, would be nice if we can add all staves to down-stem voice.

I would like to also report a bug I had found. After the Condensing Change in a certain area of the score the signpost does not appear, no matter if it’s activated or not in the Signpost List.

Best regards,
Thurisaz

It’s unlikely we’ll make it possible to add music only to the down-stem voice on a condensed staff without using the up-stem voice at all. If you have only a single voice on a staff, it will in any case use natural stem directions, i.e. stems will point up or down according to the position of notes on the staff. You cannot currently specify that you should have only bar rests in the up-stem voice, and I’d need a lot of persuading that this is something generally useful enough to warrant us spending the required time to implement it.

Thank you for the reply, Daniel!
Well, it will be useful, but after all, you decide! :slight_smile:
Just take a look at the Condensing Change signpost bug. This could be fixed. :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

You’ll need to provide a reproducible case for us to investigate any bugs, Thuriasz.

Daniel,
I would like to ask you one more thing, which I can’t find…
Is there a way do label adjacent condensed instruments One above/below Another (in vertical order)?
The only available way which Dorico currently provides is One instrument + Another One (in horizontal order).
Naming adjacent condensed instruments in Vertical order is much more logical and saves paper space on the first page, where the instruments appear with their full names.
I hope there is any way to change order from horizontal, to vertical! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

Dorico will stack the two instrument names by default, as you can see in e.g. the attached project.

stacked-names.dorico (369.5 KB)

Hello Daniel,
Thank you for the example! :slight_smile:
This is for solo instruments and it’s by default. You are correct.
My question wasn’t enough clear, my apologies! :slight_smile:
Actually it is about Divisi and Adjacent Section instruments in e.g. Violins I and Violins II, or Cellos and Contrabasses condensed into single staff. In this case the default Staff labeling is in horizontal order Cellos + Contrabasses I was trying to find a way to make it in vertical order, which is more correct:
Cellos
Contrabasses
without the “+” sign.
I hope now I didn’t miss some important details! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

Again, this is what Dorico does by default.

stacked-celli-bassi.dorico (371.4 KB)

Daniel hello,
Thank you for the replay and the example project! :slight_smile:
The default stacking is “Violoncello + Double Bass”, which I would like to change to the
more correct one:
Violoncello
Double Bass
Please, check the screenshot I took out of your example. The default is enclosed in red, and by using Windows Paint I created the stacking I need - enclosed in green.

The second stacking method is far more compact and looks better and more correct.
Unoftunately I can’t find a way to achieve it in Dorico Pro 3.5.11.
After all the paper space is very important and we should give it more to the scores and
other important text objects.
Dorico’s default for Condensed adjacent solo instruments is correct, but for section instruments isn’t. It’s should be the same as the one for solo instruments. :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for your time! :slight_smile:

Enjoy the Yule Eve! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

I apologise, I habitually use a development build of Dorico rather than the current public release version, and this is something that we have changed in advance of the next major version. So it’s not possible in Dorico 3.5.10 but will be possible in Dorico 4 when it is released some time in 2021.

1 Like

Hello Daniel,
Thank you for the reply! :slight_smile:
No problem, I will wait for the next version! :slight_smile:
I hope it will bring many workflow and playback improvements!

Happy Yule! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz