Dorico Pro 3.5 Not Installing Sounds Installer

Every time I open Dorico Pro 3.5, it opens, but I get the following error message and cannot use Dorico Pro 3.5’s playback facilities:

An essential component used by Dorico for playback has not been found. Please run the Steinberg Download Assistant and install the package: Dorico Pro 3.5 Sounds Installer

I had previously tried to update to Dorico Pro 4.0, but discovered only later that it is not compatible with the latest version of OS X which I can run on my Mac (OS X 10.12.6). I uninstalled Dorico Pro 4.0.

I was advised also, manually to delete HALion components from various Library folders, which I did. This enabled Dorico 3.5 to open again, but I now get the above error message and …no sound.

I have downloaded and installed Dorico Pro 3.5 Sounds Installer - which is actually called HALion_Sonic_SE_and_Content_for_Dorico_Pro_3.4_Installer_mac, but I still get the above error message (and no sound) when I open Dorico Pro 3.5.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem and get Dorico Pro 3.5 to sound as it should?

Thank you.

Please run the HALion Sonic SE 3.5 uninstaller, which is linked to here:

Then run the Dorico 3.5 sounds/content installer again.

I’ve spent several days now trying to get this to work, to no avail.

I am finding the installation process for Dorico very complicated:

1. Steinberg Download Assistant
  2. Steinberg Activation Manager
  3. Steinberg Library Manager
  4. Dorico Pro Application Installer
  5. Dorico Pro Content
  6. HALion Sonic SE
  7. Steinberg ‘dongle’ (USB) key
  8. eLicenser Control Center

:confused:

I’ve followed the instructions to the letter. When I try to open ‘the Dorico 3.5 sounds/content installer’, the HALion_Sonic_SE_and_Content_for_Dorico_Pro_3.4_Installer_mac.dmg version of this hangs when trying to verify the downloaded dmg file:

verify_stuck

The HALion_Sonic_SE_3.5_Installer_mac.dmg file (not sure which of these I am supposed to use), also hangs when one tries to open it and OSX verifies the image before opening:

HALion_Sonic_SE_3.5_Installer_mac-hang

Today I note that the instruction to install Steinberg Activation Manager and Steinberg Library Manager if one is not using Steinberg Download Assistant, have been added to the download page here:

…but this is in relation to Dorico 4, so I don’t know if I need to install these before downloading and trying to install the ‘Dorico 3.5 sounds/content installer’. (I am trying to get the sound in Dorico 3.5 to work.)

Questions:

1. By the Dorico 3.5 sounds/content installer do you mean HALion_Sonic_SE_and_Content_for_Dorico_Pro_3.4_Installer_mac.dmg or HALion_Sonic_SE_3.5_Installer_mac.dmg ?

2. Do I need to pre-download and install Steinberg Activation Manager and Steinberg Library Manager, or is that just for Dorico v.4.0? (I am trying to get the sound in Dorico 3.5 to work)?

3. Why are both of the downloaded .dmg images mentioned in 1. above hanging at the verification stage?

I did start by running the HALion Sonic SE 3.5 uninstaller.

:sleepy:

We are working to change the HALion Sonic SE 3.5 installer such that it will not run and install on versions of Mac OS X earlier than 10.14 Mojave, since that is ultimately what has caused the problem here. Sorry for the inconvenience!

The sounds installer you need to install to get the content up and running again is this one:

HALion_Sonic_SE_and_Content_for_Dorico_Pro_3.4_Installer_mac.dmg

How long have you left the verification process before deciding that it won’t complete? The installer is 9GB so depending on the speed of your Mac and its disks, this could take a little while.

Thanks for your concise help dspreadbury.

Good point re. waiting for verification, but I had waited for about 30 minutes (iMac). I’ll try again and wait longer.

30 minutes should be sufficient, but it should also be OK to cancel the verification step if it’s taking too long.

Finally, it worked. Thanks dspreadbury. The ‘.dmg’ verification took a long while.

1 Like

I am experiencing the same error but on Windows 10. I have gone several rounds of installing the download assistant and have even reinstalled all the Dorico components. I have double checked all the library items listed above and they are all consistently installed.

Hi @aval7384 , could you please do from the Dorico menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here? Thanks

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (409.8 KB)
Thanks for your quick reply, Ulf

@aval7384 , thanks for the data. The sound contents looks like all installed but you are missing HALion Sonic SE, the plug-in that is supposed to play all the sounds.
So please download and install also that via the Download Assistant.
I know, it’s confusing because it is marked as optional, but that is because technically it is not necessary to have it. Dorico also runs without it (just without sounds).
So please install and you should be fine.

Hi Ulf, Would that be the second one down? I’ve installed it several times now after receiving the error. (The content finished downloading and got a green tick too. In fact, the whole system worked for about a week and then began throwing this error.

@aval7384 , yes, that is the one. But then you must have somehow damaged it (accidently).
So the installer thinks it is still there where in fact it is not.
Have a look in the Windows control panel under Apps, is HALion Sonic SE in the list of installed programs? If so, then uninstall first and then run the installer again. Or there might be even an option to repair the installation.

What is the difference? Could this be my “accident”?

Too difficult to explain. Just uninstall both and then run the installer again. Trust me

J’ai également un problème lorsque je veux installer sounds content pour dorico 4

Welcome to the forum @tugobunabof .

What if you download the contents via this Steinberg webpage, same error?

Bonsoir, meme erreur que le précédent, avec le meme message d’erreur lors de l’installation de dorico 4 et du sound content, étrangement Halion s’installe sans erreur.

When I understand the error message correctly, then the actual download was successful. What if you go to your Downloads folder, in there to the Steinberg subfolder, can you find there somewhere the Sound Installer Package?
If so, try to unzip it and then run the Setup.exe manually. Is there enough space on your harddrive?

Voici ce que contient le dossier Sound Content :