Dorico Problems

Hi all,

when I start Dorico with an empty Project, it will start.
But as soon as I add an Instrument (Solo Player or other) it starts the Halion GUI, loads the patch and Dorico crashes.
I can use the HALion GUI seperately and it works, but I cannot use Dorico.

In the beginning, after the first install, everything did work. I could Import XML-Files and they would open and play and I could edit them. I did an upgrade of my Windows Installation, after I installed Dorico. But the Drivers for the Audio Hardware remained the same.

I am running
Win 10 64bit latest Insider
M-Audio Delta AP 192 Soundcard with latest Drivers (which are quite old, I might add, but work nonetheless in all other Software I use).
In the device Setup Dialog I can choose:

• ASIO4ALL v2
  • M-Audio Delta Asio
  • General Low Latency ASIO Driver
    It doesn’t matter, which I choose. Dorico crashes with all.

In the reliabilty Report from Windows I find the following technical Details from the Crash.
Quelle
Dorico
Zusammenfassung
Nicht mehr funktionsfähig
Datum
‎20/‎Okt./‎2016 14:47
Status
Der Bericht wurde gesendet.
Beschreibung
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico\Dorico.exe
Problemsignatur
Problemereignisame: BEX64
Anwendungsname: Dorico.exe
Anwendungsversion: 1.0.0.4025
Anwendungszeitstempel: 57ff6fb7
Fehlermodulname: ucrtbase.dll
Fehlermodulversion: 10.0.14951.1000
Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 5801a0d6
Ausnahmeoffset: 0000000000081918
Ausnahmecode: c0000409
Ausnahmedaten: 0000000000000007
Betriebsystemversion: 10.0.14951.2.0.0.768.101
Gebietsschema-ID: 2055
Zusatzinformation 1: a945
Zusatzinformation 2: a9457a95194e7dd74b379a5239968e3b
Zusatzinformation 3: 2c04
Zusatzinformation 4: 2c04d5a12b8a23aaa8859449b8a55fea
Weitere Informationen über das Problem
Bucket-ID: a48f81b9b224977ad19341d68f031aef (116255799290)

What can I do further?
I do not know where the Crash logs from Dorica are stored. Tell me, and I will Attach them here.

Regards

Maik

OK, I found one Crash Dump. But I cannot attach it.
The file Name is
VSTAudioEngine1.0.0.83 64bit 2016.10.20 17.21.dmp
I dont know if that helps.

Sorry to hear you’re having problems. Could you PM me the crash dump and we’ll investigate.

I cannot PM that file.
The Forum Software won’t let me.
It accepts only jpg, png or gif-files

Aha - in which case, please email them to me directly. I’ll PM you my email address.

Hi Maik,
the Dorico crash is from 14:47 but the dump file from the audio engine from 17:21.
Are you sure that you don’t have any Dorico dump files?

Certainly, we need to have a look at the audio engine as well, but when the audio engine crashes, Dorico should just continue running, that at least was the intention when separating Dorico and the engine into two separate processes. To me it looks that also Dorico crashes and that we should have some dump files there as well…

The attached zip file contains a Windows Registry key that should ensure that Dorico produces crash dumps on your computer. After unzipping the file and double-clicking the included .reg file to add it to your registry, you should subsequently find that if Dorico crashes, you can open a Windows Explorer window and type in “%LOCALAPPDATA%\CrashDumps” into the address bar to find some relevant .dmp files in there, ready to be zipped up and sent to us.
dump-config.zip (469 Bytes)

Hii Ulf,

thanks for your answer.

No, I am not sure. How could I be?
I did try to run the program many times, so it could be that the reliabilty error message from my post is from another time than the Crash dump I send to Ben.

Where do I find these Crash files from Dorico?
And I can reproduce the error very reliable.
When I start Dorico with an empty Project, it will start.
When I add an Player (Instrument), the HALion GUI starts and loads the patch.
During this, Dorico crashes every time. The HALion GUI will stay and will work. I can click on the Keyboard keys in the GUI and I will here the patch.

The Crash also happens if I open a XML- or midi-file. Everytime, during the loading of the patch.

I even re-installed everything, which did not help at all. The Problem remains.

I might add, that I can run every other Software, which uses Audio and there are no Problems at all.
So, it is most likely not a Problem with my machine.

I did find an application log, which I did Attach.
And I did Attach the reliabilty Progress from Windows.

Regards
Maik

EDIT:
I might add, that after Dorico crashing and me manually closing the HALion GUI the VSTAudioEngine Process is still running in the Task Manager.
I cannot end this Process. I have to restart the PC.
Zuverlässigkeitsverlauf.zip (5.74 KB)
application.zip (1.09 KB)

OK, I did an step bay step recording, which I attached.
Maybe this helps.

Regards

Maik
Crash_Step_by_step.zip (1.41 MB)

Did you see the post I made here that shows you how to be sure of getting a crash dump that you can attach?

Thanks for your answer, Daniel.

I did not see the post you made.

I importet the regristry entries and tried again.
Now, the Problem remains the same.
I did find the Crash dump, and attached it.

Regards

Maik
Dorico.exe.9184.zip (599 KB)

It appears that this Windows insider build causes some of our window handling code paths to execute in a different order, leading to this crash.

It appears that this Windows insider build causes some of our window handling code paths to execute in a different order, leading to this crash.

Which means?
What does this mean to me?
Can you provide a solution?
I mean other than to not use Win Insider. I will not Switch.

Every other Software is running fine.
So, there is something on your side, which is not working.

Regards

Maik

We will investigate this, but unfortunately we don’t have a solution for this yet.

Remember that being an Windows Insider means running beta code for Microsoft. I really don’t think it’s fair to expect Steinberg to support other companies’ beta testing programs.
Plus, it’s considered unwise in any case to deploy beta-stage software in a production environment.

My 2c,
Benji

OK, I will wait, because this was certainly a busy week for you guys.
But I expect a solution in the future. At the moment I paid for the Software and cannot use it.

And for clarification:
I don’t use Dorico on my productive System, since it (Dorico) is not really usable for productive work anyway. At least, it isn’t for me.

And, as I said, all other Software (like Sibelius, Finale and many more) are working just fine.

Regards

Maik

Hi all,

I just want to Keep you informed, that the Problem still exists.
Additionally, even with the new Insider Version 14955, which just came out, Dorico still crashes with the same error.

Is there any News to this?
What can I do?

Reverting back to the RTM-Version is not so easy without installing everything from scratch, so this is no Option…

Regards

Maik

Perhaps you would be better off trying Dorico on your production system? If you have registered your Dorico license and your Soft-eLicenser with MySteinberg, you can follow the software license reactivation process to move your license to your other system.

Thanks, Daniel, for your answer.

Im afraid installing on my productie System is not an Option. I Keep productive and testing categorical seperate.
I will have to wait then. :frowning:

What’s interesting is,

• when I first installed Dorico (on Win Insder btw), it worked fine. After closing and a reboot it did not work anymore.

I tried on on another machine. I have an USBlicenser, so this is possible.
The second machine had Win 10 Insider as well. And again Dorico did work at first start. I could open a XML-File and could create a new one. After closing and reopening Dorico, it crashes like I did describe above. I do not know why.
So, since it di work in the first place and not after I closed it, there is something Dorico does during the first start, which makes it not functioning anymore.
I am clueless and out of Option.

Maybe you could try and find a solution to this.
I am happy to help, where I can.

Regards

Maik

EDIT
And btw the second machine has a complete different Hardware. Only the Software is the same.

+100
You cannot expect to get support with a beta build Windows. Software ist tested and confirmed to run with “productive” Windows Systems, which includes Release Candidates. That some other software runs in an beta OS evironment does not allow the conclusion that all software runs here. It is very kind, that Steinberg looks in this, but you bought it and so agreed to use it in the specified environments (every software has sth. like system requirements). I cannot imagine, Dorico is confirmed to run on a beta OS.
Please forgive my open words, friend.