Dorico & Screen sharing (Zoom)

Hey everyone,

Now that my country has been hit hard with the health-crisis I am mostly working from home, but I’m having trouble with Dorico & Screen sharing. I’m using Zoom to screen share Dorico with my students and colleagues. Somehow it doesn’t capture the audio from Dorico, but does from any other window / program.

Whenever I set Zoom to record “What you hear” it does work and picks up Dorico Playback etc. It’s a workaround but tedious because it means it no longer records your microphone meaning you can’t talk over your playback.

I’m using Windows 10 and Dorico 3, in combination with a Sound Blaster soundcard.

Has anyone else run into this problem or found a fix?

Welcome to the forum, CountJazz. I’ve only had experience of using Zoom on Mac, and on Mac it seems to “just work”. Hopefully somebody else is using Zoom with Dorico on Windows and can advise.

I recall that using the General Low Latency Driver with the Windows default device seems to work for Dorico when screensharing, but I’m not 100% sure.

For more complex audio routing in Windows, I use a program called Voicemeeter. After installation, some virtual devices will appear in your Sound Options control panel: Voicemeeter In (output device) and Voicemeeter Out (input device). You can have Dorico play audio through Voicemeeter In, and its levels will appear in Voicemeeter under Virtual Input. First have Voicemeeter pass the Virtual Input to your speakers so that you can hear Dorico (Virtual Input > A). Then, have Voicemeeter pass your mic to Voicemeeter Out (Hardware Input > B), and the Virtual Device to Voicemeeter Out (Virtual Input > B). Finally, have Zoom transmit audio from Voicemeeter Out. There’s online documentation for this use case, and I think you can just replace “Skype” with “Zoom”.

Another thought: Do you have the option ‘Release audio device in background’ ticked in Dorico’s preferences? If so, try to untick and see if it makes a difference.

Do you have an option for “share computer sound” in the initial screen share window? That is what makes the difference in the Mac environment

Hi I just uploaded a video about this exact problem and a good solution using software called Voicemeeter:

https://youtu.be/zjiidHB8SIc

Thanks for all the feedback, I’ve tried the above solutions, but no luck so far. Off to try Voicemeeter now, will report back.

Hi there,
I’m using a Mac and zoom for teaching. I have the same problem: zoom just doesn’t capture dorico audio. I tried every secret button so far, but no luck. Any help from Mac users? I’m using a zoom h-6 as audio device.
Thanks in advance

My Dorico has a “suspend audio device in background” option. Are we talking about the same thing?

I hope it is okay to share an outside link, but the tutorial by scoring notes has worked perfectly for me:

https://www.scoringnotes.com/tips/share-video-and-audio-of-music-notation-software-via-zoom/

Thank you!
Unfortunately, I’ve already tried what’s recommended in that article. If I select zoom audio driver as Dorico audio device, I can’t hear any Dorico sound anymore. Plus, when I hit the play button, the green playback bar appears but doesn’t move at all (if I remember well).

On my own Mac, what I find is that I can use the loopback capability of my UR-22mkII audio interface, which allows both my microphone audio and my Mac’s audio to be transmitted via Zoom. You might check into whether your audio interface provides a similar loopback feature.

That sounds to me, like Dorico has problem reaching your device. Do you have „suspend audio device“ deactivated? I had and it worked.
Also, maybe you had different sample rates, so I would try out if it works maybe with the other one? (48k instead of 44.1 or vice versa)

EDIT: I use an RME Babyface, which doesn’t support a loopback feature. So definitely were able to do it as the tutorial says.

Problem solved!
I found a “loopback audio” option on my audio interface (Zoom H6), turned it on, and now everything works!

Thanks everybody for your help!

I ran into this same problem myself. The tutorial from Scoring Notes worked for me—“share computer sound” in Zoom (of course) and changing the ASIO driver in Dorico—but only after I closed and reopened Dorico.

Yesterday was our first day of class, over Zoom. I played some Dorico files and most people in the class (about 80 total) could hear everything just fine, but there were a few who could not hear Dorico playback, although YouTube worked for them.

I’ve asked those students to see if their version of Zoom is up to date. Has anyone else had this experience, or any ideas on what to try?

If they are on Mac they might need to allow microphone input for Zoom as in picture.
Sorry, Swedish system.

Jesper

1 Like

Just thought I’d share my Zoom setup, since it took me longer than I’d like to admit to figure out. I’m teaching a masters-level analysis course this semester, so I had to find a way to have a keyboard visible at all times in order for the students can see whatever voicings I’m demonstrating. This is a Windows setup, but anything I play on my MIDI keyboard will sound through Zoom, as well as my voice from a USB mic, and anything I play back through Dorico, Roon, Transcribe, YouTube, whatever.

I’m using a freeware program called VMPK to display a keyboard at the bottom of my screen at all times. It will easily work with OBS and this guy’s tutorial was a good step in the right direction for me. Unfortunately, I’m using my Fuji X-T4 as my webcam (love the 16mm f/1.4 lens for this) but the Fuji webcam software doesn’t work with OBS, so I use ManyCam. I have managed to get everything working with VoiceMeeter, FlexASIO, and MIDI-OX (to route MIDI signal to multiple devices at once) but it’s pretty complicated …

Here’s my setup:
Windows Sound Output - CABLE Input (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)
Windows Sound Input - Microphone (MiC Plus)

VoiceMeeter Potato - Hardware Out (A1) - ASIO: SPL USB Audio Device
Hardware Input 1 - CABLE Output
Hardware Input 2 - Microphone (MiC Plus) - turn off A1
Virtual Input 1 - Voicemeeter VAIO

MIDI-OX - on, minimize to system tray
VSL Synchon Piano - VoiceMeeter Virtual ASIO (lower latency than FlexASIO), if issues use
FlexASIO
Dorico - FlexASIO

ManyCam
Import “Zoom Settings.mcpro” (my file with the keyboard and webcam windows configured correctly already, Fuji webcam software already is selected)
Global Sound - On, Preset Audio - On
Audio Inputs (3): System sound, Microphone (MiC Plus), CABLE Output (I don’t think I should actually need both System sound and CABLE Output, but I need both on for some reason)
Audio Output - Default Playback Device (should be CABLE Input)

Zoom
Video: Camera - ManyCam Virtual Webcam
Audio: Speaker - Same as System, Microphone - ManyCam Virtual Microphone

When sharing screen, do not share audio, as that will kill the audio you already have automatically routed to Zoom. As I mentioned anything I play back on my system will always go through Zoom no matter what program is playing it, and the students can see a virtual MIDI keyboard at all times and hear my VSL Piano VST anytime I touch my MIDI keyboard. So far so good!

4 Likes

I just recently needed to share Dorico playback with my bandmates during a Zoom meeting session, but no one was able to hear. They saw the Dorico Write Window and the playback cursor moving and scrolling the window correctly, but heard no sound.
I only use Steinberg UR242 audio interface on my PC. OS is Windows 10 20H2 (build 19042.867). Of course I enabled “share computer sound” option in Zoom when sharing the Dorico window. No problem with Sibelius, you tube and other programs using PC audio output ports.

My experience brings me to think that the cause is in the Yamaha/Steinberg ASIO driver.

In fact I was able to get the audio shared by the participants by switching the audio driver in Dorico (Edit>Device Setup) from “Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO” to “Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver”. The currently installed Y/S driver is the latest version 2.0.4.
Interestingly enough, the exact same problem (and workaround) exists in Cubase (I have Elements 11 installed).
I have always used the Yamaha Steinberg driver with both Dorico and Cubase without any problem and I am unsure whether I can find unexpected problem by using the generic ASIO driver.
I could think of switching the driver any time I want to share Dorico or Cubase playback on Zoom (which honestly is not so frequent), but certainly this is not ideal. Any feedback or suggestion?
Thanks, Massimo

It’s pretty complicated, I know, but I posted my workaround above. Did you try it using OBS (free) instead of ManyCam? Ignore the keyboard parts if you don’t need it. Basically use FlexASIO (for multiple ASIO devices) and route all sound through OBS, then have Zoom use the OBS sound. You’ll set your Windows output to Voicemeeter Cable like above (a virtual cable) then mix your mic and sounds in Voicemeeter, and set Voicemeeter out to your UR242. With everything set up correctly like above you won’t need to share audio, just video. The error in my above post is that you don’t need to share system sound too. (I was skeptical above but it turned out I didn’t actually need it.)