Dorico sending wrong key switch to VEPro

I am using the Berlin Orchestra template, and I have legato specified in the score (with a slur). I can see that legato is marked in the piano roll. When I click on the note in the score, it switches to the legato articulation in VEPro as it should. But when I hit play, it sends a Marcato Short to VEPro instead. This is very perplexing to me. Anyone have any thoughts?

Is your legato entry in your expression map properly configured?

Well I assume it is since Dorico provided the template.

When you click on a note in the project outside of playback, at the moment the choice of switch that is used to audition the note does not correctly take into account the length of the note, which during playback can be used to select a particular switch based on its note length condition. I don’t know whether or not the Berlin Orchestra template defines these note length conditions, but chances are it does.

So what I expect is happening is that during playback Dorico is ending up choosing a short note because it finds that to be the more closely matching choice.

In our development builds we have extended the auditioning code to also take note length conditions into account so that the same switch should be selected when clicking on a note as when playing back.

If you are still struggling to figure this out, please cut your project down to just the affected instrument and bars and attach it here, and I’ll investigate further.

I have mostly figured it out. . . mostly. . . sort of. Whoever made this template did some pretty fancy footwork to overcome deficits in the library. Per chance I opened Horn 2 and noticed that it had articulations from Horn 1 loaded on a separate channel. Essentially, the maker was allotting missing articulations to Horns 2-4 and employing them through channel switching. This channel switching was interfering with Horn 1. Because this type of thinking is fairly pervasive throughout this template, the only way that I can see to accommodate it–without reinventing the wheel-- is by putting each instrument on a separate instance in VEPro.

It might make more sense to just let Dorico host the samples, though I fear that things will grind to a crawl once a piece begins to achieve some length.