Dorico slowing to a halt consistently

Hi,

I’ve got a really odd problem - Dorico isn’t really crashing so to speak, but consistently, after a few minutes of working, every command starts taking like 5+ seconds to complete. I don’t have any crash reports because it’s not really crashing, but it’s effectively unusable every time it happens. I’ve attached a diagnostics report I made immediately after restarting, but like I said, there’s no crash-specific information because it’s not actually crashing.

I initially had this put down to trying to work on larger scale scores whilst the condensing feature was turned on and could reliably reproduce the lag by turning it on and off. It’s happening again though now, and I’m currently only working on a solo instrument part (which I’ve created a separate file for entirely).

Anyone have any ideas?
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (844 KB)

Welcome to the forum, NadimDotSquare. Sorry to hear you’re having problems. It sounds like perhaps you’re getting a MIDI feedback loop which is eventually choking Dorico and preventing it from responding. Can you check the ‘MIDI Input Devices’ dialog on the Play page of Preferences to make sure you don’t have e.g. any MIDI output devices chosen as inputs there?

Nothing appears to be in the MIDI Input Devices list. I have noticed since posting that the slows/eventual crashes only seem to happen if the instruments aren’t sounding, although I’m not 100% sure of why they sometimes aren’t sounding.

I’ve got an updated diagnostics report with a good few crashes that all seem to be related if that helps. It’s apparently too big to attach though, so I’ve gone ahead and thrown it on WeTransfer: WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

Thanks for the diagnostics. I’ll need to discuss them with my colleagues to see what might be going on. We’ll come back to you as soon as we can.

Can you provide us with some details about your hardware, in particular CPU manufacturer and model?

Sure thing, here, take the whole Speccy breakdown just in case: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/si3AfWEnxqLwUbozo8fPilQ

Thanks, Nadim. The CPU doesn’t look to be an unusual one. I will pass this on to my colleagues.

Paul wonders whether it might be possible that your computer’s RAM has developed a fault. Would you please try running the Windows Memory Diagnostics tool? You can run this by typing mdsched into the Cortana/Start box, and then click Diagnose computer memory problems. This will require you to restart your computer, as the memory tester will run after a restart, so please make sure you’ve saved all your work before you proceed.

Hi again - sorry for the delayed response. I’m afraid the memory diagnostics tool has turned up nothing.

Thanks for confirming. I’ll ask Paul and Ulf if they have any further ideas.

I don’t know how demanding the Windows memory diagnostic tool is, but looking at the computer spec you have two RAM modules from different suppliers with different speed ratings and different internal timing tables.

Both modules are made by reputable well known manufacturers - IMO the potential problem is not they are from different manufacturers but they have different specs. That would usually be considered “not a good thing to do, even if it seems to work OK”.

Your PC is running at the maximum memory bandwidth of the second DIMM but only 75% of the rating of the first one.

If you are happy about opening up the PC and you can do some testing with 8Gb of RAM not 16Gb, I would try pulling the DIMM in slot 2 to see if that makes the problems go away. If it does, consider buying another DIMM with the same spec (your slot 2 DIMM is the slow one). If you go to a memory supplier site like https://www.crucial.com/ they have a diagnostic tool you can download and run, to make sure they are selling you compatible products.

Ah okay. They are indeed separate suppliers as I added the extra 8GB a couple years after I initially built the PC. I’ll have a play around and let you know if it fixes things - thanks for the advice!

Update: For whatever reason, my computer really did not take well to having the second slot RAM removed. Not sure that’s a viable way forward without getting someone a bit more tech-savvy than myself to take a good look at it.