Dorico stalls on 92%

Dorico fails to launch, is stuck on 92%. Either it launches after several minutes, or needs force quitting.

Update: it also takes forever to attach video.

Version of Dorico is 4.3.30.1132

Attached is process-sample from Activity Monitor.
Sample from Dorico process.pdf (166.8 KB)

Sample Dorico_video.pdf (153.7 KB)

Could you please have a look for crash files of the VSTAudioEngine process? Thanks

Hi Ulf,

there are no crash files for it in the Logs-folder /Library/Logs. Should I look elsewhere?

Hi Henrik, could you please run the attached script? That should collect all the stuff that we usually want to take a look at, including pertinent crash files. Thank you.
CreateDoricoDiagnosticsReport.sh.zip (1.2 KB)

Ulf,

I get only this when running it. Will I need to quit Dorico first?

Will it start if you manually close the VSTAudioEngine process first before starting Dorico? If Dorico doesn’t automatically close it correctly after a previous session, then sometimes I find I have to manually close it before starting Dorico.

Hi Fred,

I don´t think I have ever dealt with the VstAudioEngine… how would I close it? I am using Vienna Ensemble Pro Server on the same machine.

Henrik, did you update also the MediaService?

Sorry, I just realized you’re on Mac. In Windows, it can manually be closed from Task Manager if Dorico didn’t correctly close it in a previous session. No idea if Mac works similarly.

1 Like

It does work similarly :wink:
It’s not Task manager but Activity Monitor.

2 Likes

I’m in direct contact with Henrik now and will sort things with him.

Hi, I’m having the exact same problem as of today, when I migrated from my 2018 Intel MacBook Pro to a new M2 Air. I’ve run the CreateDoricoDiagnosticsReport script; here’s my output. Can you help me with this?
DoricoDiagnosticsReport.zip (696.2 KB)

Can you be more specific about the nature of the problem? Is it that a specific project won’t open, or that when you start Dorico it hangs on the splash screen, or something else?

There are no crash files in your diagnostics, so it is not a crashing issue.
But still the audio engine appears to start up properly but then suddenly stops responding somehow.
Does this happen with every project? Also, what if you create a new project from scratch, does that load the VSTinstrument(s) properly?
You are loading projects from the path /Users/schutz/Library/CloudStorage/OneDrive-Personal/. Could that be the problem? Or did you do that already successfully in the past?

Yes, the entire program is unusable because it hangs either on the splash screen or when I’m initializing a project, at 92%.

Yes, every project unfortunately. Starting from scratch gives me a blank project, with sound etc working fine. No problems loading projects from OneDrive in the past; many are stored there.

Very strange. In the diagnostics you’ve posted are no crash dumps, so I’m wondering what the audio engine is doing there?
Could you please load again one of your existing projects and then when everything comes to a standstill create a so called spin dump? You do that via the Activity Monitor utility which comes together with OSX. A description can be found here.

Sure, here’s the spindump:
Spindump.txt.zip (323.3 KB)

Ooo the plot thickens. I tried making a project from scratch, which I said works and everything’s fine—and it was, until I tried to save it, when everything froze again! Here’s another spindump from that event:
Spindump 2.zip (469.3 KB)

The file actually saved, apparently successfully, even with a QuickLook image intact. But it also doesn’t open, hanging at 92%…

This is all very strange. From the spindumps I can’t really see what is going wrong.
But one tiny detail I’ve noticed, which as well could be decisive, but also could be not.
Your mediaclient bundle is one update behind. So please update to the latest by once opening the Steinberg Download Manager. The Download Manager will try to update itself as well as the common Steinberg system components to which the mediaclient belongs. So after once running the Download Manager, try again in Dorico to create a new project, then save it and reload. Getting any better?
If not, then we need to further elaborate on it. So please take that saved project and strip all the audio engine data from it. A corresponding shell script and instructions can be found here. If stripped down, does the project then load without stalling?