Dorico under Windows 7 (64)

I know what has been written previously, but are there any news about perhaps us after all being able to run Dorico under Windows 7 (64-bit)? Thank you.

It won’t be an officially supported configuration, but it will run without any problems as far as we know to date. I believe there may be some Windows Update or other you might need to install if you don’t already have it in order to run the installer, but aside from that Dorico itself will run fine. I will make sure we document whichever missing component it is in a knowledge base article when the time comes.

I think this should be stated clearly in all the documentation of System prerequisites. This just to avoid loosing potential customers… :wink:

Daniel, are you far enough along to list full system specifications to run Dorico either here on in the Dorico Newsletter?

These are the system requirements that are on Dorico’s box (if you buy the download version you can ignore the bit about needing a DVD-ROM drive, obviously):

64-bit Windows 10, Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan or macOS 12 Sierra. Intel or AMD dual core CPU. 8 GB RAM recommended (4 GB minimum). 12 GB free storage space. Display resolution of 1,920 x 1,280 or greater recommended (1,366 x 768 minimum). DVD-ROM drive for software installation using included optical media. OS-compatible audio hardware.
Internet connection required for activation, account setup and personal product registration. Additional downloads will be required for installation.

For recommended systems and support of future operating systems, please refer to the Support section on our web site www.steinberg.net.

Display resolution of 1,920 x 1,280 or greater recommended (1,366 x 768 minimum).

Woah—my mid-2012 13-inch MacBook Pro’s native resolution is 1280x800, with no apparent way to increase it. Is this a deal-breaker? The computer’s only four years old—rather young in Mac years—and I’m counting on keeping it a good while!

This was exactly my concern: excluding OSs that can support Dorico may decrease sales. May also diminish development and support efforts :wink: I don’t know if there is something like “in medium stat virtus:slight_smile:

Does your MBP have a Retina Display? If so, then you should be fine if you use one of the scaling modes that makes things a little smaller, but if not, then you might find the display a little cramped until you are comfortable enough working with the keyboard and menus that you can work with the panels closed.

This is probably a daft question, in view of Daniel’s reply about Windows 7, but am I right in assuming that Dorico will run in Windows 8.1, and be fully functional? Will there be any installation issues?
Michael

I think this is a legitimate question, despite Daniel’s reply. Since we don’t know how much emphasis has been made on testing Dorico on W7 (or W8.1,) it remains to be seen whether it’s stable and happy on such systems in general. That was basically my reason for asking about the Trial Version in another thread. I’d like to verify it with my own eyes (and ears) on my own primary workstation, before committing to a purchase. Updating to W10 is out of the question. And if I purchase it and install it on my W7 system and it fails, I could install it on my only W10 device, the Surface Pro, instead, just to get to know the new baby… given that the rigid Steinberg authorization system will cooperate in such an undertaking.

We these days are concentrating our testing on Windows 10, but we have been running Dorico on both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 with no issues (aside, as I say, from the lack of a specific component needed for installation on Windows 7, which can be downloaded from the Microsoft web site).

Thank you Daniel. I just took fright a little at the mention of Windows 10 on the Dorico box with no mention of earlier versions. Even so, I might still wait for a trial version before forking out my 299 euros.

Good as I, like many others are not keen to relinquish W7 and attendant upgrade Pc box etc etc.

(aside, as I say, from the lack of a specific component needed for installation on Windows 7, which can be downloaded from the Microsoft web site).

And just what might that be?

A trial version would be very worthhile to get a feel for its “bang for buck” given
most us have at least sibelius 7.1.3 or later or Finale equivalent.

graham

As I recall, the extra component is a version of the dotNET framework that is preinstalled on win 10 but not on win7.

I think it would be a good idea to confirm, because the last thing any professional wants to do is alter a working set-up at the same time as installing new software. If their working set-ups can be updated without issue, then you won’t get people holding off from buying Dorico simply because of not knowing whether or not their system will be stable when installing this required component.

DG

Thanks Paul.

With a bit of google search Win 10 comes with Ms.Net framework 4.6.2
My win 7 has this version so I’m good to go. This appears to the latest version.

The installer is easy enough to find.

Graham

Thank you for checking Graham! :slight_smile:

I also checked my machines and found version 4.6.2 in Win10, Win8.1 and Win7SP1

:exclamation:

… the last thing any professional wants to do is alter a working set-up at the same time as installing new software…

I am one of those professionals. If Dorico runs flawlessly under 64-bit Windows 7, I will buy it. If it does not, I will not buy it. Simple as that. Fingers crossed, because I sure do want to have Dorico.

Now you understand what I posted above: please avoid to loose sales :exclamation: :wink: :smiley:

Pleasure-

: )

It is a pity that Dorico did not at least have win 7 SP1 as minimum requirement
or that it was ‘officially’ supported given a lot of folk are still using and likely
to use win 7 for its duration of support by MS- i.e 2020 I think.

But if win 7 users keep their Pc ‘up to date’ then the Ms.Net framework is not an issue.

graham