Dorico under Windows 7 (64)

For those that need it win 7 SP1

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53344

installed without fuss.

graham

I am inclined to purchase Dorico, but I have some big problems with switching to Windows 10. I use Windows 8.1 Professional and there are some reasons I cannot make the switch.

First of all, part of my hardware is not supported under Windows 10. I also run Cubase and WaveLab Elements on this machine, so I need that hardware and replacing it will be costly - Too costly. Secondly - The Music computer is running in a network with carefully configured user(s) policy’s . In windows 10 Professional (parts of) those policy’s are overridden or even completely removed. That situation is simply unacceptable. I have no will, or time, to work out work-arounds (even if they are possible, witch I doubt) for Windows 10.

So - I am absolutely stuck to Windows 8.1. I am sure I am not the only one in this situation. I think Dorico should have at least official support for Windows 8.1.

That said - I will certainly make a test run on the “music” computer. I am only afraid that if some problems rise, I simply have no support for this (rather costly) software, because I do not use the required Windows version. In that case I would have spend money on software with bugs that never get resolved.

This will let me (sadly) think twice for purchasing Dorico. I have some reservations with spending that money for something that will not get full official support.

The reason they officially support W10 only is probably due to limited technical support resources. If one reads between the lines on this forum, it seems that it will indeed work on both W7SP1 and W8.1 provided the .Net framework software is up-to-date. But given the somewhat restricted authorization scheme, it is a bit disappointing that no firm confirmation of this has been presented (so far)…

I have same kind of reasons to more or less never upgrade my Windows 7 system (to Windows 10).

So, I have 64-bit Windows 7 and also Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2, and I want to buy Dorico. According to what Daniel has written, Dorico should run fine on this computer. What happens, if it doesn’t? Without a trial version being available, we cannot test anything before buying. Thank you so much.

You CAN test before buying; you just have to wait a few weeks.

As he said ^^^ :wink:

So, you’ll need some more patience - trial version will come around 4 weeks after official release (usual Steinberg practice).

:slight_smile:

Bob

strange eh? One has waited 25 years for a program of this caliber, and suddenly 4-5 weeks seems like an eternity :slight_smile:

Yes, of course, but I wouldn’t want to wait. :slight_smile:

Just to make it quite clear:-

As I understand it:-

win7 has to be SP1.

Win7 Sp1 appears to be aquiring net framework 4.6.1
in its normal update cycle.

For Dorico to work on win7 SP1 AFAIU will need net framework 4.6.2
which is not normally part of win7 SP1 OS so that can be download
from link in my earlier post.

graham

I received my boxed copy of Dorico (crossgrade from Finale) yesterday. Today I installed it on my main computer with 64-bit Windows 7 and Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.2.

I am very glad to report that the installation went just fine, even though I changed more or less ALL the suggested installation paths to what suits me better. Dorico started beautifully and found what it needs. HALion symphony orchestra and my ASIO USB audio interface work as expected. Activation process was quick and smooth.

I have not yet really began to use and trying Dorico itself because I, as a very organised person, am first making all kinds of system backups, but at least the projects that I quickly started from the HUB opened and the sounds were loaded into HALion without a hitch. I also changed some preferences and the audio setup – no problems.

Thank you, Daniel, the team and Steinberg. :slight_smile:

P.S. I have read almost everything there is and has been during the Dorico development years, so I know what kind of stuff I can expect to see and experience, when I tomorrow start playing with Dorico. I most certainly will NOT complain whatever difficulties I may encounter. I know that Dorico is and WILL be THE guy. If not today, most certainly soon. Thank you again, Daniel and the Great Team.

I am running Dorico on Win7 64bit.
I am not experiencing any special issues except for the audio engine that keeps crashing, but it is my understanding that this is not uncommon for Dorico on any operating system.