Dorico vs. Logic

Hi,

My DAW of choice is Logic Pro X. However, since Dorico includes features typical of a DAW, I’m slowly trying to move all my composition work to the notation program. To do it, there are some aspects of my workflow that have to be adapted to the different tools.

I’m trying to reflect on this transition by comparing the various stages of composition. Maybe the attached sheet may help someone give me hints and make me discover the weak points of my thinking.

Paolo

You should not have the CPU issue with VSTi. Do you have a midi loopback somehow (although not sure how since you are using VST).

PS: lot’s of people might tell you Dorico is not a DAW, but I also envision the future where more and more could be done directly in Dorico, let’s see how that pans out.

Dorico will never be a true DAW, because the development team has said they aren’t pursuing any sort of audio editing (caveat: as I recall), among other things. The reason for this limitation is pretty plain: Steinberg also owns Cubase.

It’s accurate to say Dorico has a growing list of DAW-related features, for sure.

(Reading your comparison list)

More than I ever knew in the beginning, setup time in Dorico is a matter of making good use of well crafted playback templates. Starting with a blank project with no instruments, I can add a player - or even more efficient add an ensemble - and all the instruments, routing, expression maps, presets, etc. will get set up automatically. And JUST THOSE instruments - meaning if the playback template has a bunch of other instruments like say contrabassoon but the score doesn’t, then the contrabasson won’t get loaded.

Not saying that Logic is slow either, I’m just saying that being slow was more my fault in setting up my own workflow, and I felt foolish for putting it off for so long.

You can of course send Dorico’s playback output to Logic as an “instrument”.

theoretical,

You should not have the CPU issue with VSTi. Do you have a midi loopback somehow (although not sure how since you are using VST).

It shouldn’t, since in this case the plugins are simply inserted in the VSTi rack in Dorico. The player itself shouldn’t send MIDI messages back to Dorico, apart for the sysex required to save the plugin’s settings. The more complex routing including VEPRO is much lighter, and it should, on the contrary, be more prone to this type of accidents.

gdball,

Starting with a blank project with no instruments, I can add a player - or even more efficient add an ensemble - and all the instruments, routing, expression maps, presets, etc. will get set up automatically.

Unfortunately, as I also noted in the other thread, I’m trying to use a particular setup (actually, a quite common one), where the automated setup seems not to work, or not to be granular enough.

Ben,

You can of course send Dorico’s playback output to Logic as an “instrument”.

It’s my limitation, but I prefer things that work straight. Strange solutions make me feel uncomfortable. I don’t have a particularly sophisticate mind. In any case, there would be no reason to use Logic as a host, when there is VEPRO working fine with Dorico.

Paolo

I suspect Cubase 11 will have a lite version of Dorico integrated in it, not unlike Studio One and Notion. But who knows, maybe its wishful thinking.

Cubase already includes a score section that is not dissimilar from other DAWs. Some find Cubase and Logic enough for what they have to communicate to the real performers. Notion, being more advanced in its score section, would be even better than them.

But the point is having a notation program capable of producing the most sophisticate notation, according to today’s most advanced professional requirements for performance and publishing, that also allows to make a credible mockup of the score.

Paolo

I worked nearly 30 years with Notator and Logic (and I used also Finale and Sibelius). I miss only 2 things in Dorico from Logic: 1. the transform window and 2. copying and editing notes of groups of notes with the mouse. If I compose often I compose first rough lines, later I add details. I do this easier and faster with Logic than with Dorico.