Dorico will not run – audio engine hung?

Hi,

I have just installed the demo of Dorico and the sample libraries, restarted my machine, run the elicencer etc all successfully. However, Dorico will not run. I get the splash screen with its various messages until it reaches “Initialising: Finish scanning VST3 Plugins” Then it just sits there. Windows task manager is showing VST Audio Engine and Dorico running. The audio engine seems to have hung.

Cubase 8.5 (which is also installed) seems to be working OK.

I am on Win 10 The only VSTs I have are the ones installed with Cubase, EWQLSO/SC and NotePerformer, but that shouldn’t cause a problem.

I let the installation use its defaults, so no interference from me!

Any help much appreciated.

Is it possible that one or more of your VST instruments/plug-ins is showing or trying to show a dialog, and it’s ended up behind the Dorico splash screen? If a plug-in takes too long to respond (e.g. because it’s showing a dialog and you don’t see it), then it should get blacklisted and not loaded the next time Dorico starts, so you could try force quitting Dorico and then running it again to see if it gets past that first stage.

If still in trouble, please zip up the folder C:\Users<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine_64 and send to u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de