Dorico with iPad Pro and iPencil

Hi,

Just wondering if the iPad Pro and iPencil will be 100% compatible? I really would love to be able to just write the Music with the iPencil. Handwriting with the iPad Pro is great so it would be a shame not to use it!

Thanks

Jono

No, not compatible at all…

Dorico is an application for Windows and OS X. I’m afraid at this stage there is no iOS version planned, though we do hope to develop e.g. a mobile Dorico viewer/reader for iOS at a later stage.

1 Like

OK, thanks Daniel! Good luck with it. I’m sure it will be a great App!

1 Like

This absolutely NEEDS to happen. Have you seen that video with the Microsoft Surface Pro? I would whip out my credit card in an instant!

The OP’s question was about the iPad, not Microsoft Surface. Doesn’t the Surface basically run Windows, so it should be compatible, at least at a basic level, with any Windows app? Even a Windows “desktop computer” can have a touchscreen, if you need one.

Yes, thank you, I am aware of the original topic of the post. My point was if Steinberg would support an app for the iPad and iPencil of similar (though probably limited by comparison) functionality, I would be very interested. To answer your question, yes, the Surface is a fully functioning computer.

Can’t we use another iPad score program if it exports xml files and import them into Dorico?

Yes, Robert, you can. We’ve not tried importing MusicXML files from Notion for iPad or Symphony Pro, but provided the MusicXML files are sane and valid they should import just fine.

Then I can’t see any real need for Dorico to put in effort to duplicate what others have done already especially when getting Dorico out the door and then adding missing components will, and ought to, occupy the team full time for the foreseeable future.

This doesn’t solve any portability issues, but if you want to use iPad Pro as an input device, you might try out an app called AstroPad. You install a little server utility on your Mac, connect your iPad over USB (or wifi, but USB is better), and you can use Pencil to “draw” on the screen. The latency is very low, comparable to a Wacom Cintiq drawing tablet. I’ve been using it with Adobe Illustrator for a couple of months, and it works great!

It’s a little pricey ($20), but it really does work fantastically well.

Robert, what program(s) are you thinking about?

Notateme, or the two that Daniel mentioned. As unlike Dorico input as they may be, they can be used and transferred to Dorico using xml. Otherwise if they really don’t suit one then one just has to use one’s computer based program.
That might not be ideal, or what we might wish for, but it is what we’ve all been using successfully so it isn’t that we are losing any functionality.
I really can’t see how the team can be expected, or even encouraged to spend time on an app. Certainly not now. Or any time soon.
Daniel has mentioned looking at a mobile viewer/reader in the future but that is much less work than an app mimicking Dorico’s input methods I should think.

Well I’ve tried both Notion and NotateMe and they are both sluggish and a bit unpredictable with the iPad Pro and pencil. Notate me is supposed to learn your hand writing style but it is too unreliable. You are better off working with a MacBook. Notion is a bit more reliable but still is a bit of a pain in the neck. Too bad that reliable software s only for the surface pro.

I use Symphony Pro on my iPad Pro and the musicXML file that I exported from that opened adequately (but not great) in Dorico. I just completed a project that I started in Dorico, then went away for the weekend so I exported MusicXML from Dorico into DropBox, then opened that in SymphonyPro and continued to work at it, then exported musicXML from that which I opened into Dorico once I returned home.

I don’t see a need for Dorico’s development team to be working on an iOS version as long as MusicXML continues to improve. As for a reader/viewer app for Dorico files, if we can’t edit the files I don’t feel there’s a need for a viewer – export or print to PDF file and then simply view that on the iOS device.

I would rather see the development team work with SymphonyPro and Notion musicXML export and import files for seamless export/import and leave the development of iOS apps to the SymphonyPro (constantly working to improve the program) and Notion (hasn’t been an update in a long time) development teams.

I really like to see some kind of Dorico-viewer.
It takes a long time on my system to start-up Dorrico and when I need a score quickly (e.g. for a student) it would be handy just to view and print without the use of Dorico. If possible for tablets too.

I have experimented with lots of devices and have settled on a Surface Pro 4. Gives me the best of all options. StaffPad etc are SLOWLY improving but I can still input much faster into a proper score writing app like Dorico or Sibelius. So rather than trying to find an app that will do all I have a device that will do all. Score written in Dorico, lightning fast export to pdf, open in MobileSheets Pro. I then use this as my reading app and make annotations with surface pen as required. I then update the Dorico file and re-export.
Even better when I update at home, surface plugs into dock with full keyboard 2nd monitor etc etc then I can see both Dorico and PDF at same time. Works a treat.
I used to routinely carry 3 devices (MacBook and 2 tablets) all replaced with 1 device. Yes I took a lot of convincing to go Windows10 having been a life long mac user but no regrets.

Paul

This is very dangerous talk likely to inflame the Apple fan club.

Paul, I was doing a search of “surface pro” on the forum to find if anyone was indeed running Dorico on one of the tablets and enjoying it. I’m glad to see that you are. A surface tablet is a candidate for my Christmas splurge.

I use the Surface Book and Dorico. Dorico is so optimized for keyboard, a keyboard cover or a portable Bluetooth keyboard would be a good idea with the Surface Pro tablets. (The Logitech K380 is a pretty good “pack along” Bluetooth keyboard for both Apple and MS tablets as long as separate keypad isn’t a must.)