Dorico's Dynamic Curve (mapping to sample library)

Sorry if you already noticed this, but here is also my proposition of how exactly the dynamic curve could be set. In short, if it was a series of numbers (instead of one number), that would allow very much control in a very compact form.

I think this kind of simple numerical representation could have it’s benefits, since each expression map (or in the optimal case each articulation) could have a dedicated curve - that is a lot of curves!

2 Likes

At the least a simple table like Notion.

<dynamic-map id="dvel">
      <dynamic dynamic="ppppp" value="19"/>
      <dynamic dynamic="pppp" value="19"/>
      <dynamic dynamic="ppp" value="31"/>
      <dynamic dynamic="pp" value="43"/>
      <dynamic dynamic="p" value="55"/>
      <dynamic dynamic="mp" value="67"/>
      <dynamic dynamic="mf" value="79"/>
      <dynamic dynamic="f" value="91"/>
      <dynamic dynamic="ff" value="103"/>
      <dynamic dynamic="fff" value="115"/>
      <dynamic dynamic="ffff" value="127"/>
      <dynamic dynamic="fffff" value="127"/>
    </dynamic-map>
2 Likes

The Notion method could be a nice way to easily set the mid-points for dynamics, so the humanization option in the expression map can be re-enabled. How are these values plotted from one to another, a ramp or jump?

From my own experience, the curve editor used by Audio Modeling is quite neat - it allows to set the precise boundaries of the range for input and output, select the curve type preset and then manipulate the shape and slope:

It’s very smooth, but it doesn’t allow a lot of granularity. A very old one by TransMIDIfier (freeware) offers much more precision. Each CC value can be mapped individually:

It also includes curve shape presets and drawing tools.

Something like this per articulation in an expression map would allow an incredible amount of precision.

1 Like

What I have suggested is just under the CC choices of each BASE selection in the expression maps, there is another entry box with 8 columns . Here you assign a number (for the two CC,s selected above) for ppp,pp,p,mp,mf,ff,fff

2 Likes

Just a short note to close this thread with thanks to the team for implementing the custom range possibility in Dorico 5.

What exactly are you referring to here? You cannot specify a velocity range for say mp or mf. I still have to experiment with the minimum and maximum dynamic level settings in Playback Options to see exactly what effect they have on my setup, but the specific calibration of velocity and dynamics is not possible, I don’t think.

No, you can’t - but the new feature allows one to replicate and mimic a lot more accurately how the given instrument divides the 1-127 MIDI range between the recorded samples of various dynamics.

For example, I have the strings library with ppp-fff and a French Horn with pp-ff. With the new feature I’ve set the boundaries of the ranges accordingly in the expression maps - and found (to my surprise!!!) that I’ve only needed a manual correction once so far. And I’ve had several dozen custom remappings made!

Okay, that’s great, but still a little hit or miss. I still think it would just be much easier to define a velocity range for each dynamic marking for each expression map. It would save a lot of messing around and experimentation.

2 Likes