Double charging Cubase users.

Agreed. I think this thread has gotten pretty silly. WaveLab is not Cubase, Cubase is not WaveLab. If I were interested in buying Cubase, I wouldn’t expect a discount because it has some similar stock plugins and can also edit and record audio.

+1. Never has been and never will be.

Me either. When I purchased Nuendo a few years back (which was massively expensive compared to Cubase at the time) I did not even think about my WL usage or ownership let alone starting polls and threads attempting to convince others that I have been “wronged” by Steinberg.

It was my choice to like or not like. Buy or not buy.

VP

You do get two “separate licenses” for all those plugins, so you could use them on two different machines simultaneously.

Whether the included plugins are the same or not doesn’t change the cost of building the program.

The cost of these applications is very low when you look at things in their historical context, especially if you are a user who uses them daily. Less then $10 a month if you buy every update for either Cubase or Wavelab. If an app feels too expensive to a customer, imo, that person doesn’t need it enough to justify spending the money.

Wavelab itself is very specialized. I think there are many, many Wavelab users who have no use for a sequencer.

Without having SB’s profit/loss spreadsheet in front of him, or at least their head accountant next to him, explaining how pricing is set, I don’t see how the OP’s observations can be taken as being credible.

Perfectly stated.

And your “costing” analysis is bang on. Given PG’s full year of hard dev on v9 - an upgrade cost of 99 bucks seems like I am getting away with something that I should not be :slight_smile:

How anyone could possible complain about that price point (for what WL offers each major cycle - especially this one) is truly beyond my comprehension.

VP

@ Justin (and others)

I agree with you regarding Studio One. I was not suggesting that a Cubase+Wavelab Bundle should cost 379€. But I agree with the OP that there should be a discount. I stated that it costs more than 1000€; in fact it costs 1128€. And that is just way to much. I’m sorry but a program like Wavelab is not that impressive anymore in 2016.

And it’s not just that some plugins are the same as in Cubase. There are way more functionalities that are the same. Importing, exporting, sample rate conversion, fades , the list goes on and on and on. In 2016, in fact, I find a program like Wavelab, as standalone version, totally outdated. It could all be completely and perfectly integrated into Cubase incl. batch funtionalities, metering and things like ddp.

And saying that Wavelab brings in the costs quickly back in is only the truth for a vast, vast minority. Most people can’t make any money anymore, in fact the lose money making music.

Although i would welcome some discount for owing both programs, i disagree with this statement:they are totally different programs to the core

+1