"Double-click opens editor in Lower Area" not respected BUG (13.0.30)

Using the latest Cubase 13.0.30, and despite having set Preferences → Editors → “Double-click opens editor in Lower zone” AND “Open Editor Commands open Editors in Lower zone”

when I double click to edit some clips they open in a new window. Other clips (in the same project, different tracks) open in the Lower Zone.

It drives me crazy, as I have to click the arrow on the right of the new editor windows after I click on a clip that didn’t respect the setting, to re-dock it back into the Lower Zone.

Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1 here.

P.S. Not sure if this helps, but just found a correlation: this BUG happens when I click on clips on a folder track (on the clips shown the folder track lane itself). If I open the folder track and click on a clip on a track inside it, it does respect the setting.

Hi,

You are talking about a clips. But there are no clips in the Project window. The clips come only from the Pool.

Are you talking about an Audio Events, Audio Parts or A MIDI Parts, please?

Assuming @hejazzman meant "events, I can confirm this behaviour. However: To me, this seems intentional. When clicking on a “folder-event” (for lack of a better term), all contained events/parts are opened in their respective editors. As the lower zone can only display one editor at a time, multiple editors have to be opened in separate windows. I usually never click “folder-events”, so I cannot say, if previous versions behave differently (but I imagine they do not). Hope this helps!

You are talking about a clips. But there are no clips in the Project window. The clips come only from the Pool. Are you talking about an Audio Events, Audio Parts or A MIDI Parts, please?

Po-ta-toh, po-tah-to! It’s a Folder with 2 instrument tracks inside it.

Those instrument tracks have midi parts (or clips or regions or rectangular shapes containing MIDI info, however DAWs call these), and the folder track has stand ins for the parts/clips inside it.

If I click those folder track parts/clips, an editor opens in a new window (instead of the lower area), which has two lanes on top allowing to select which of the two MIDI parts contained in the folder I can edit.

Not sure why this editor can’t open inside the Lower Area instead.

I can confirm this behaviour in 13.0.30. A Folder track with several MIDI tracks only within it, when double-clicked, will open the full editor.
When the same parts are selected on their own, they all open together in the lower region.
I never use the lower zone, so I’ve no idea if this is a new “bug” or an old one.

At least these are just different pronunciations of the same word. When I see “clip” I think audio.
It’s a hard life, being a pedant.