double dynamics in condensing

Why do the chords in the first bars have double dynamics? If there is only one stem, there should only be one dynamic at a time.

Also, why is the passage from m. 24 to the end written on two staves? The two parts are rhythmically identical, as are the dynamics. And indeed on the last system, which continues the same phrase, they are merged.

Thank you,

Alan Belkin
doubledynamics.7z (417 KB)

Double dynamics: the Trumpet 2 dynamics are grouped with a forte halfway through bar 4, whereas the Trumpet 1 dynamics are not grouped with a forte dynamic halfway through bar 4, therefore the dynamics are not identical, so they won’t condense.

As to the passage from m. 24, this is a weird one, and one for which I have no answer. I notice that despite the fact there are no pitch crossings, if I turn up the allowable number of pitch crossings to 4 (from 1), this passage combines onto single staves/stems correctly.

I’ve had quiet a few doubled dynamics, but no time to get to the bottom of them. Scaling one of them to 1 is a workable fix for now.

Oddly enough, if I delete the music in m. 10-17, it combines into single staves.

???

As I said, I can’t pin that one down. I would be very surprised if anyone apart from the development team could identify the issue here: it’s a brand new feature and clearly it’s still improving.

Actually, I take that back. The problem at m. 24 onwards looks the same as this thread. The inexplicable thing, as far as I’m concerned, is that changing the Pitch Crossing settings seems to make a difference here.

This is because the dynamic group for trumpet 2 contains the “f” dynamic halfway through bar 4. Remove that “f” dynamic from the group and you’ll get just a single set of dynamics.

Also, why is the passage from m. 24 to the end written on two staves? The two parts are rhythmically identical, as are the dynamics. And indeed on the last system, which continues the same phrase, they are merged.

There are two pitch crosses: the F4 in trumpet 1 in bar 15, and the C5 in trumpet 2 in bar 17. This means that the phrase starting in bar 10 prevents staff sharing. Because Dorico works from left to right, when the next system begins, the condensation setting for the old phrase is still in force, and Dorico doesn’t “know” that the next phrase will allow a shared staff, so it has already decided by that point that it needs two staves.

When condensation changes become available, my expectation would be that if you create a condensation change at the start of the new system, that will be sufficient for Dorico to know that it should reconsider its options from that point, and that will cause it to show a single staff from that point.

That sounds great! Thanks!