Double MIDI notes being recorded!

Hi, everybody!

I am new to Cubase, and so far I like it a lot. Now, I bought Cubase Elements 9 about 2 months ago, everything was going pretty goo, and then I had to reinstall my OS a couple of weeks ago, and suddenly I’ve noticed a mind-boggling issue.

Whenever I record something using my MIDI controller (Nektar Impact LX88), the editor will write double MIDI notes instead of one. These notes are not always the same length.

I am not an engineer, and I find it hard to figure these things out on my own. Any help would be appreciated!

• A second question would be if Cubase supports OMF files?

Thanks in advance to everybody!

P.S. I am sorry if this is double posting, I’ve browsed the forum a bit, but wasn’t able to find anything related to that. Maybe it’s somewhere deeper in the forum, and I am patient, but not that much :wink:

Welcome to forum.

OMF is Pro feature only.

About midi ports - look at devices setup and if you have both windows midi and something else for the same port.
I know I have some midi units support many protocols if DirectMusic and Windows midi or similar.

So first check - select a specific midi port for input on a track and check how it looks?
If All midi inputs is used, you might get from many ports.

Thank you ^^

OMF is Pro feature only.

Ah, alright.

About midi ports - look at devices setup and if you have both windows midi and something else for the same port.
I know I have some midi units support many protocols if DirectMusic and Windows midi or similar.

So first check - select a specific midi port for input on a track and check how it looks?
If All midi inputs is used, you might get from many ports.

I have only one device on windows MIDI active, that is my controller, and it’s not on All Midi. I have selected the device (my controller) on the input of the track (it’s not set on ALL MIDI), and I still get double notes. It doesn’t do the same in other DAW’s, so it’s not the Keyboard itself sending some additional signal that is mistaken for MIDI.

Weird - I would see if the checkbox for to use system timestamps is checked - and uncheck it.
Thinking is if two midi data are considered different due to having different timestamps or something.
And having different lengths might also suggest something like that occur.

Are there more to choose from if “show all midi devices” or similar in the setup dialog.
My RME interface then show two, to mention how it might look.

Other software I used does not show all these variations of the same midi port - so they might use the one that work better.
They may be hardwired to use either.

Turn off MIDI Thru in the preferences.

Hi, thank you for your advice. I did that, but that just cut off the MIDI signal. No audio feedback.

Anything I need to adjust in the Device Setup menu?

That is sort of a good thing. You traditionally do not want MIDI Thru enabled if your keyboard have such an option.

The loss of audio feedback simply by cutting off MIDI Thru inside a keyboard is indicative of MIDI communications problem between it and the DAW (could be any direction).

The concept of a DAW role is that your MIDI keyboard sends MIDI messages and the DAW receives them. The DAW is then used to control how the MIDI information is distributed. So when you have multiple MIDI tracks, as you select a track, incoming MIDI information (from your keyboard) is now routed to the selected MIDI destination. Select another track and the MIDI information (still from the keyboard) is now routed to the newly selected track destination. (E.g. imagine having two synthesizers.)

When a track is NOT selected, but you press play in the DAW, any recorded MIDI information on any ‘active’ track is now distributed along any live performance MIDI generated on the MIDI keyboard.

A DAW is like a MIDI message router. The keyboard becomes the generator of MIDI. If the keyboard have sound capabilities, it can also be used as a receiver of MIDI. This is the reason why the MIDI Thru is used to sever the internal MIDI routing inside the keyboard, so in effect the keyboard is now two devices, a MIDI controller keyboard AND also a sound source.

There are many reasons why the MIDI information does not make it through the three part chain explained above (keyboard - DAW - sound source). Make sure you can see some graphical indications inside the DAW as you are playing the keyboard, that your MIDI information is making it to the DAW. The “transport” can show in general if you are receiving MIDI information, but you want to verify that the track you expect to receive the MIDI is in fact getting it. Then you want to make sure that the track is spitting the MIDI back out (same deal, track and transport). Many keyboards also have some way to indicate whether it receives (and some even indicate transmitting) MIDI messages.

If the previous tests indicates success, continue with verifying that both the track in the DAW and the keyboard are using the same MIDI channels. A MIDI port can transmit and receive on 16 channels.

I think the opposite - your set LOCAL OFF in your external gear and have midi THRU on in Cubase - that is the normal procedure.

So turning off midi thru in cubase should make it silent.

It seems OP problem is of the sort that is only solved by uninstall/reinstall something.
And see to that all updates are done on OS - total reinstall OS and easy to miss some update.

@Elektrobolt and @Larioso
Thank you, guys! I have tried everything, but it just didn’t help. With MIDI thru ON, I get double notes upon recording. With MIDI thru OFF, I see the visual feedback of the MIDI signal, but no audio feedback.

I’ve looked up everywhere, switched things around and still wasn’t able to make it work.

I will get back to it later, I have some work to do and I can’t do it in Cubase. having this “double note” issue just drives me crazy :slight_smile:

You are most appreciated for taking your time to help me out with this. Respect!