Doubts about ARA and track versions

Hi there :slight_smile: !

I’m working with Melodyne in ARA mode in Cubase 12. I made some changes to the track events and now I would like to make the changes permanent, but I would like to use a Cubase track version for this. The procedure would be as follows: I would make a new track version and make the changes permanent to the events of this new track version. That way, if I find I’m not comfortable with the edits, I could go back to the track version with no permanent changes.

Would this work this way? I mean, will the permanent changes apply only to events in the new track version? It’s possible to role back to the previous track version where the events have ARA enabled?

The main reason for doing this is to free up some processor power, because I think ARA extensions do real-time calculations and consume some processor power. I’m right? Am I freeing up processor power by making ARA extensions permanent? Will the track version with ARA edits be disabled in the background?

Kind regards.

Can anyone help with this :sweat_smile: ?

Regards.

The best way to do what you want you would have been to make the additional version before using ARA on only one of them. I suppose you can duplicate your current edited version and remove the ARA Extension from it. I think that should work, but don’t know for sure. But it’s easy enough to just try it and see what happens.

In general you don’t need to worry much about loosing your original audio when using ARA Extensions because they are always working on a copy. So when you make it permanent it doesn’t modify your original Audio file which should be sitting untouched alongside the new ARA modified file in the Project’s Pool.

Are you getting close to maxing out your CPU? If not I wouldn’t waste much time or energy trying to solve a non-existent problem.

1 Like

Hi @raino, thanks for your help :sunglasses:!

This is perfect! If ARA works with copies and creates new files when changes become permanent, I think it should be safe to work with track versions.

Not yet, but I expect a high level of CPU demand on the project I’m working on, so it would probably be a good idea to free up some power whenever possible. Anyway, you’re right, maybe it would be better to fix this when problems arise.

Regards.

same here

yes

yes

1 Like

Hi @almaelectronix,

Thanks for confirming that this way of working will be safe :sunglasses:!

Kind regards.

1 Like