DP 'chunks'/sub projects

An incredibly useful feature for any media composers. A way to break up long video projects into smaller manageable chunks/sub projects whilst keeping instruments loaded in the background, so we don’t have to wait 5 minutes whilst loading up different cues, or spend 200+ euros on VEP.

5 Likes

I’ve been waiting for something like ‘chunks’ for many years.

+1

Dani

3 Likes

You and me both! But I understand that reducing the functionality of the right click menu takes priority :wink:

1 Like

I wish this feature was implemented.

Especially knowing that DORICO has his FLOWs which work exactly like this.

Cubase should implement flows like the ones in Dorico:

You can see how they work with video in this video: How to Score to Video in Dorico | Getting Started with Dorico 2 - YouTube

2 Likes

Wow. It’s like yer channeling me.

Chunks are da BOMB. If anyone here is a software developer, you can’t live without forked development. ‘History’ is completely inadequate for trying lots of different ideas.

But yeah, the loss of right click menus is devastating.

The ONLY thing I want more is… the ability to work on two -active- projects at a time.

2 Likes

+1 Chuncks would be an amazing feature for film composers

2 Likes

+11111

1 Like

+1

Count me in too!

DP leads the way with this one but now Dorico has paved the way for that kind of workflow in a Steinberg environment it would be priceless!

2 Likes

+1

That’s a bump and a heavy feature request (I am even currently studying the possibility to switch to Digital Performer for this feature… and the better score reading)

1 Like

Steinberg PLEASE add a feature like reaper’s “subprojects” or Digital performer’s “Chunks”.
in Cubase 13 or 12.5. Not everyone records guitars or orchestras or works with players. For those of us who rely solely on midi, It’ll definitely make life easier . subprojects can render massive projects into a single stereo track, you can basically run 100s of VSTis in a single project… why is that feature not in the software that started it all? Lol

2 Likes

This would really speed up my workflow 1000%!
I still don’t have a very satisfying way to handle long feature film projects.
Everything in one session might work sometimes., but it’s just creating problems. Especially if I wanna have tempochanges, or the picture is changed and I need to adjust the timing…

I don’t know exactly how DP’s chunk feature works, but my dream workflow would be this:

1. I create a “master session” and import the whole film
  2. I roughly spot all the music cue INs and OUTs with Marker regions
  3. Each region creates an own “sub” project file, so I can focus on each cue individually
  4. when working on a “sub project”, the master session is still open in another window. The film is streamed from the “master session”
  5. When I finish a version I can hit a button like “export to master session” and then the audio file shows up in the Master Project file
  6. I can also switch between versions for each track/cue. Eg. if the director suddenly wants me to work again on a previous version of Cue 2m4, I can select it in the mastersession, choose the version and open the SUBPROJECT from there
  7. I can select how I want the stems to be and the export them all to the MASTER FILE

I think this would be my dream to be able to work like this, so things don’t feel like a “workaround” anymore-

I’m curious now what the Chunks feature in DP is (i don’t wanna switch though :stuck_out_tongue: ). StudioOne has a kind of “Master Session”, where I can quickly update tracks from different projects in one session, but it’s more for mastering albums, not for film scoring.

3 Likes

Yes. For longer films this would be very welcomed

1 Like

Same technique would be great for Sound Design.
Although I have Nuendo 12, WaveLab 11 and pretty much everything Steinberg makes, I still have to use Reaper for my work.
I do audio design for theme parks (music and sound design). Reaper, with its SubProjects, allows me to design every sound FX as a SubProjects, that get brought into a “Master” project and appear as one stereo event, when you double-click on it, its project opens as a tab, when you make modifications you save and the SubProject gets bounced automatically and is updated into your “Master” project… Brilliant!!!
What are the advantages??? Well, imagine your sound effect has 10 tracks in its SubProject, that sound combo needs to pan across, or sound like it’s in a room or be processed…etc, now you only have one stereo track to focus on, no need to create a bus or make automations as Reaper has a clip-based envelope with pan/volume/pitch…etc.
Each SubProject has its own timeline and rulers, so each one can be a music cue for a film. and all your cues can be opened as tabs for easy and fast access.

I really think Reaper is ahead, as our workflow requires more and more non-linear approaches, we need those tools to conforming to constant changes the industry is making.

I wish Steinberg was taking notes…

2 Likes

That might be a neat idea… Being a MOTU hardware user since about day 1, the workflow of DP (and AudioDesk) always threw me for a loop and I didn’t ‘get it’. A few years back I moved to an MPC Live, and after getting familar with the MPC sequencer, now ‘Chunks’ make perfect sense in the same way an MPC breaks a project up into ‘sequences’ that can be strung together into a whole song.

Nowadays I love being able to break it down and look at ‘pieces’ of the composition instead of having to dig through the whole linear view, but on the MPC, its got no linear view, so having both available would be pretty awesome…

That would also make integrating my MPC with Cubase a lot easier too… :wink:

2 Likes

Glad this request is back. +1

1 Like

To vote you have to click on “Vote” at the beginning of the post.
Writing +1 doesn’t count as a vote

1 Like

It could also borrow Doricos flows feature.

1 Like

I’m was just testing the new Beta version Reaper 7 a lil bit - I think they implemented this very nicely!
I can have a master session with different “sub-projects” in the timeline, which are automatically exported as Audiofile. When I double click on them, it brings me to the subproject in a separate Tab (Btw. TABS are a different feature that would be nice…)

I think the new thing in Reaper is now also, that you can have one video file in the Main Session which gets played back in the background when you open the subprojects.

I hope Steinberg is noticing these advancements in other DAWs. This is not only handy for film composers, but also for people who have to manage a lot of tracks and want to sum different elements in subprojects. (sounddesign, or music session with lots of layers…). For mastering it can also be handy, you can have all your tracks of an album in one Master session, while still being able to easily access the mix with a double click on the track.

I back this feature request 10000% since it would be a really nice feature! c’mon! :slight_smile:

Yes. Let’s go, Steinberg.