DP3 freezes when loading files from DP2 with MIDI settings

I’ve been thnking. Which dump do you need? That one from the frozen project or that from the the failing DP3 restart?

Please capture the dump at the point at which Dorico has frozen: then run Process Explorer, and make a mini-dump of the frozen Dorico process.

Same Problem: File too large

Is it also too big for an e-mail? Please try to send to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’. Thanks

Hallo Ulf,
die Datei hat 29, 5 MB…

Geht auch nicht :frowning:

in English:

That file (29,5) is also too large for e-mail

Greets
Peter

Shall I copy it on an USB stick and send it to you via snail-mail?

Greets Peter

It’d be substantially quicker to use WeTransfer…

You can use WeTransfer, WeSendIt or FIrefox Send, all of which are free (Google will find any of these services with a single query). You can also copy it into Dropbox, if you have it, and send a public link. Or you can copy into OneDrive and send a link from there. Or Google Drive.

These days a 30MB file is nothing, though it’s still too big for email and I salute you for not trying to send it via email!

Are you sure that you created a mini dump and not a full dump?
Anyway, please send me an e-mail and I will send you a login to my ftp-server.
Thanks

Thanks for the data, Peter, but the audio engine does not look like it’s hanging, it’s just idling and waiting for things to be done.
Could you please also provide a mini dump for the Dorico process when it is “frozen”?

Hi Peter,

We’ve taken a look at the dump file that you sent, and it’s very mysterious because it doesn’t show anything particularly interesting about Dorico.

Please could you try the following:

1. Reboot, just to make sure there’s no old processes hanging around
  2. Run Dorico and do whatever you have to do to reproduce the hang. Leave it for a couple of minutes in case there’s just something that’s slow. When it does happen, make a note of the current time
  3. In Task Manager, switch to the Details tab and kill the Dorico3 and VSTAudioEngine3 processes, if they’re still running
  4. Run Dorico again and create the diagnostic report to attach here. This should contain the log files that tell us what’s going at the time of the problem.

Sorry that you’re having these problems getting started - hopefully we’ll work out what’s going on very soon.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (897 KB)

Anything new?

Is there anything new?

Saw the the diagnostics file was downloaded…
Peter

Please don’t bump posts…

I’ve spent a while looking at the various log files and unfortunately there’s still not enough information in there for us to work out exactly where it’s going wrong. I’ve got a script that will obtain some more detailed information, if you are happy to run it.

• Unzip the attached script onto a subdirectory your desktop
  • Download Procdump from ProcDump - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn and copy procdump.exe to the above folder
  • Double-click the capture_dorico_hang.bat – watch out for any warning messages
  • Run Dorico and wait for it to hang
  • Open the directory Documents/crashes and check that you have some .dmp and .log files in there
  •  You can now kill Dorico

• Zip up the Documents/crashes directory (the .dmp files are large but they compress down very small) and email to p dot walmsley at steinberg dot de, or send a link using dropbox or other file sending service
    capture_dorico_hang.zip (565 Bytes)

Hi Paul,

are you looking for this:

Hi Paul & Ulf,

got it working after doing the following steps:

(Yamaha Motif Rack XS (YMR) is off)

• Start DP3 and load the file

• in the background the YMR Editor window pops telling me that it is offline

• switched on YMR

• I clicked on “Offline” to put it online

• started Synchronisation

• a warning appeared (No Audio and something else I’ve forgotten)

• I ignored it and continued

• went back to DP3 with the problematic file open

• it works.

Question is now: Why didn’t I have to do this procedure in DP2? There everything was fine!!!

Yours Peter

There is one step missing: I also had to load my MIDI-Multi configuration from the computer, before I went back to DP§

Perhaps that is also interesting:

If I kill DP3 via WINDOWS (Program doesn’t answer) and then start DP3 again, it always hangs on “Audio Engine: VST 3.xxxxxxxxx”

I must restart the PC then