Drag and Drop VST?

I’ve noticed that in Cubase, it’s not possible to drag and drop files from outside of the program (folders, desktop, etc.) into VSTi that have drag-and-drop functionality. Such instruments include Kontakt, Battery 3, Reaktor, and others. Why is this basic functionality missing from Cubase?

Also, as a workaround, I tried loading files into the media bay…nothing actually loads except for HALion instruments. .wavs don’t how up in the browser.

…???

I’d like a bit of an explanation. Thank you.

Yes I’ve read the manual <_< haha.

No you haven’t or you’d have read about the filters in Mediabay.

I’ve noticed that in Cubase, it’s not possible to drag and drop files from outside of the program (folders, desktop, etc.) into VSTi that have drag-and-drop functionality. Such instruments include Kontakt, Battery 3, Reaktor, and others.

I can’t speak to this issue on PC functionality, but I can from the Mac side (you do list an MBP in your sig). You absolutely can drag and drop audio files from outside the program into Kontakt 4 or 5, Reaktor 4 or 5 and Battery 3. You only need to make sure that both the outside folder and the plug-in interface are both visible in the window before you switch focus between the two. You can help this by invoking “Always On Top” for the plug-in interface (rightclick on the plug-in’s menubar).

As to other plug-in (which you do not list) I have no answer.

Why Steinberg has chosen to ignore universal drag and drop protocol in favor of making it a proprietary issue favoring MediaBay is beyond me. The result is a confusing mess. For example: you can drag and drop samples from the outside into NI titles but you can’t do it from MediaBay. You can drag and drop samples from MediaBay into GrooveAgentOne but you can’t from the outside.

Yes I have read the manual, and mediabay doesn’t work the way it should for me. i use the filters, and the folders that show up are ones that contain HALion content. i don’t lie.

Drag and drop doesn’t seem to work TOO well, but it’s tolerable. It’s too bad that sometimes plugins aren’t allowed to have this functionality. I guess it’s one of the disadvantages of using Cubase… I like it too much to give it up though.

Yes I’m using Mac OSX :slight_smile:.