Drum brushes to sticks

Hello,

So, I’m using Noteperformer with my version of Dorico 5.

I have managed to change the snare drum sound to brushes to give me the “swish” sound, and have managed to change the note head to “Default” and have the “swish” sound playback nicely. Great!

Now, half way through the arrangement, I want the drummer to change to sticks and play on the snare.

How do I change this? If I change the sound in Noteperformer, I then have the whole arrangement playing with sticks. If I change to brushes, then of course I have the whole arrangement played on brushes.

Very frustrating and would welcome any kind of feedback.

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum.

I would make an extra drumplayer en divide the brushpart to one an the stickpart to the other.

That’s only for playback. Then for the reading part You add an third drummer were You copy the part for reading and set the audio on silence.

Most of the time I make for drums an track for playback with often terrible notation and an reading part with proper notation.

1 Like

Thank you Maarten! I’ll have a look into this. A good workaround I think!

That puts you one step ahead of me David.
I’ve just spent 2 hours trying to figure it out and am close to tears…
I’m working on a big band arrangement and need the drummer to switch from sticks to brushes a few times.
I’ve read countless forums and instructions in manuals, but am now thinking of returning to pen and paper… :frowning:

You may get away with instrument changes if you can find a way to deal with system breaks !

I’m stuck at the first hurdle - can’t even locate a brushes kit or figure out how to assign a different sound to a notehead. I’m not a novice either, by the way. I’ve been using DAWs for decades and used Sibelius for years. I’m just finding Dorico to be particularly user unfriendly.

I’ve just replied to the other thread where you posted about this. Next time, there is no need for two different threads. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you.
Desperate times…

Just a thought, what I don’t understand as a drummer.

When the part says me to play brushes, I do that, but in a jazz style you will get a specific rythm with a sweeping sound of the left hand. To get that sound out of Dorico you need to set up playback techniques and you need a proper sample library. The notation of that is impossible because it is just never written out. So I can get the sound out of Dorico but the notation is not common and not to understand.

My point is when you want Dorico to play brushes the best way IMHO is to make an extra part for the sound.

In NP there is a sound with brushes. But I think that is a little bit nonsense because the whole thing about Brushes is the combination with that sweeping sound and that is not there so far as I know.

For brushes in jazz there is just no notation for brushes other then slashes I think.

I understand this post is not helpfull but more a question.

1 Like

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 22.17.51

I’ve been reliably informed that this sort of thing is good practice, when you want something specific…

1 Like

Ok thanks I see what you mean. Although I don’t think this is standard notation. But that is common in drum notation. :grinning: It is not something I would write for a part that is for sight reading.

I’m not behind the computer now. As soon as I am, I will take a look if I can find the file with a working brush playing and share it.

@gmbamford here a Dorico file with at least at my system a working brushes playing moderate swing. I made it in D2.2 but it works in D5 with only Halion se sounds. So I think you must have that.

This is for sound not for notation.

Brushes2.dorico (984.7 KB)

1 Like

Thanks man, really appreciate it.
I actually managed to get something working with Vintage Drummer in Kontakt, but I’ll definitely keep your file to hand, for when I inevitably forget everything I did… (which was more by guesswork, than common sense or deliberation, although I did watch a couple of John Barron’s videos).

1 Like

Ok if that is Abbey Road Vintage Drummer then I have here for sound only the brushes part for an arrangement I did. Maybe usefull.
Brushes1.dorico (2.4 MB)

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks again Maarten.

1 Like