Drum Editing - Small, weird, annoying, time consuming BUGS!

Well I might tell you in a PM what firewall I use, but as a basic I use MSE.

I’ve got Cubase trial but I don’t use it even though I can see its’ potential so have settled on 5.5.3 and am extremely happy with it both on XP/Vista.

C6 of course works better on Vista than XP but requires more resources, and I like HALion so I am tempted to buy it but not until the next update as I’m concerned as anyone about these graphical issues currently plaguing the program.

MSE is not a firewall!!! and how can any of this have an impact on a Win 7 system running C6?

I never said it was, and Steinberg staff supposedly said that problems in this post were to do with the video engine, so I’m wondering if many of the current graphical issues as expressed by users are in fact related.

Mysteryshopper, I’m beginning to think you live in a parallel universe where things are the same but not quite :laughing:

Anyway it’s bedtime for bozo… goodnight :mrgreen:

Guten nacht

Split, glad it’s not just me thinking that.

Mysteryshopper, there are no updates applied to Cubase automatically.

“A very solid app, reason enough to not complain about all the problems in C6 I believe.”

When something I count on works for 3 versions one way, and then suddenly works differently for no obvious reason… I will complain loudly. Recording is how I make my living. I count on Steinberg for smart updates and application consistency. With version 6, despite the many powerful features, consistency has taken a hard fall.

If you don’t have complaints, that’s awesome.

I never said there was.

All I am saying is that if it is right that if the videoengine is causing problems with some graphical applications in the program, then maybe you can try to disable it.

So it seems one common cause of sync loss when splitting takes is this: If you ‘select’ a region of a take (i.e., the track is ‘highlighted’) and split it while selected, sync will be lost (even though all of the correpsonding tracks in the group folder are also selected). If I unselect the tracks and then split, it does not lose sync.

This doesn’t make any sense, but it often ends up being the workaround.

I reeeeally need this to work correctly, Steinberg. Reeeeealy bad.

Mysteryshopper, you typed:

“… but then realized that all the program (firewall) was doing was picking up changes, ie updates in cubase …”

This should be your first post, with a little extra step-by-step detail. That’s how they like it; sorry I am unable to help right now.

i wander if it has something to do with the earlier post of project settings…and resolution…are you running the session in 32 bit? 44.1k or 96k? etc…

I usually run sessions at 48/32, some times 96, sometimes 24-bit… I don’t get how the group syncing would be related to my recording resolution, though.

How can I be the only one having issues with this? I read the manual and watched 2 videos on how the feature works. It does what it claims to do, but there are bugs in the feature. If I had the means, I would make a video of how easily group edit can lose sync. It’s reaaaally easy to make it happen by one method (splitting a group of tracks while they are selected), but it is not the only time it gets out of sync; I just haven’t determined a consistent method to cause loss of sync besides that one.

I guess I will repost in the preferred format, now that I have at least one method that (usually) recreates the issue.

Hi Gabelicious

I’ve only recently installed and started using Cubase 6. Had a massive project to finish on 5 before taking the plunge. Anyways I did a song with live drums yesterday and was excited to try out the new features. I am happy (or maybe lucky) to say that everything worked flawlessly. We did 3 takes of a 14 mic setup, comped the best parts into one take and quantised to the grid all in less than 2 hours. Granted it was a four to the floor kick pattern making things very easy but all the new features seemed perfect.

I did however notice when tracking the guitars with multiple mics that sometimes I’d get that group editing may fail message, even though all the tracks in the folder seemed to be in sync and did in fact respond as a group when selected. Strange behaviour…

Anyways I’ll test out some extensive editing today and see if I can repro your situation. I take it you’re talking about manually cutting and not the new auto split feature.?

BUT I did not say they were automatic, unless I am a robot (past life maybe).

Rocking out on a rubberised drum kit (after midnight) :laughing:

That suit is PIMP! :sunglasses:

Okay, so this is my understanding:

1. The drum editing features in Cubase 6, though highly touted (and the biggest reason I upgraded), are not really used to any extent by anyone on this forum (if they were, I cannot possibly imagine how so few people are complaining about it).

2. Steinberg doesn’t care that their highly-touted drum editing feature is buggy as hell, as there is not so much as a moderator nod for this post.

Three hotfixes later, no part of the buggy feature has been addressed at all. This was your big selling point, Steinberg.

Now, think a little. To say nobody uses the drum editing because they don’t see the same bugs as you see can paint you into a corner.
I’ll accept that not many use the drum editing in 48 or 96 which might well be a more realistic statement which might make it easier to nail any bugs peculiar to those that do get these bugs at 48 / 96.
Most (? ok, a lot of) people who do use 48 are also editing to movie. Are you?
I’ll have to reread the manual on sample rates re movies, if there are any examples but it could be that there’s some programming limitation built in there that’s not clearly explained (only a first idea why it should be “legitimate” behaviour so please bear with me).
I understand the frustration as you have had no clear confirmations or dismissals and I can see the clear objectivity of the earlier posts just getting a little cloudy through not getting enough positivity.
I can’t help thinking that you may have missed a tweak but Cubase, even for the well experienced, has so many dam tweaks it can take an age to find the right button to press sometimes. And each version seems to move at least one button… but I am quite prepared to be wrong about that.

Workaround: Go back to v 5.5
I am unable to edit efficiantly in cubase 6, so I don´t use it…
If you want group edit, do this:

When you´ve stopped after a take press ctrl G to group events. Do this with all your takes.