drum programming

I’ve heard similar complaints about the overwhelming variables/options within BFD that it can impede workflow (not bashing BFD - I may own it eventually :sunglasses: ).

A much simpler approach would be to send the stereo out from AD2 into Cubase and use a compressor (with a mix knob) on the stereo channel to gently handle peaks (or squash it to death if the mix calls for it) and send that stereo track to any reverb fx you like (then hi pass and low pass the reverb to tame it).

Well to be honest I never like compressing a stereo drum track with room ambience it does weird things. I was just saying that I was happy working with BFD and using what they have got. Perhaps I will try the mixing in Cubase and see if I’ve gotten any better at it. However there is not a better alternative to using the drums actual room sounds as far as I have found. I prefer it to using reverbs.

I like how it sounds within Addictive Drums 2. I’m naieve and a total newbie so in time I may realize the benefits of mixing in Cubase; I can get the channels separated in Cubase easily enough but when I get to 6:50 in the video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw4Z5EVXtIc] of the setup (assigning inputs to right bus so the audio tracks record the right channel) ‘outputs’ does not come up when I click up on 'left stereo in, just ‘No Bus’ and ‘Stereo In’ options come up.

I wouldn’t mind mixing in Addictive Drums but people are telling me I should record the tracks in audio before I continue and , of course, doing that in multichannel would be most appropriate for obvious reasons.

This sounds great and the performance and song strength are fantastic, too! :slight_smile:

Do you send the signal through to Cubase as a two channel stereo signal and adjust levels and effects in the drum mixer as needed when you start adding additional tracks?

To a large degree I do. Although with some tracks I have experimented with multi outputs. My main problem has been that I like the ambient sounds from within Cubase. Perhaps I need to spend some time using some of the ambient resources available to me like Aether and B2.
Perhaps others could share their approach to using this kind of software and the advantages of doing so?
To be honest all my efforts with sequencing the midi drum parts are done in Cubase as I much prefer the convenience - especially when using the Arranger Track.

I must say that I hope Steinberg pulls it’s finger out and sorts out the vst menu issue that badly affects BFD3.

I like the track. There is a Jonathan Herrington vibe to it. Very catchy. I am liking the drum sound.

I have not tried the VCA faders yet as I have been having issues with the drop down menu bug and have temporarily (I hope) rolled back to 8.0. I will try out you approach. Tell me, does AD2 have a good room set-up with avariable mic distances etc? Because one problem I have with using a 3rd party reverb is that the whole kit is coming from the same place. At least with the stereo ambient mics there is a sense of position and the mono mics cover the whole kit.

I personally can’t be bothered to use multiple channels outside of my drum VSTi software, and do everything I can within it before treating it within the DAW. In the end it get’s listened to in stereo anyway.

If the tracks aren’t isolated in the DAW, what do you do to the drum stereo signal for treatment?

The only thing I ever do to a stereo drum track outside of it’s VSTi is add a little reverb and/or compression…if I do anything at all, which most often not. I also do very little within the VSTi… adjusting minor levels of the snare & kick, which seems to bring out the the components more…but most of the time just adjusting room ambiance.

Keep in mind I’m either…
a) too lazy
b) too stupid
c) an amateur
d) all of the above

I take a minimalistic approach to most everything I do in the DAW.

Thanks TKM! (I just saw your comment).