Drum Set Notation on One Voice for specific needs

I can’t seem to figure this out…

There are instances in pop / commerical writing where a drummer prefers to see all cymbals and drums on one voice stems down, namely when it involves crashes with fills.

How do I do this? I’ve looked on the forum, looked at YouTube, and can’t seem to figure this out.

How can I get DORICO to do what is in these pics without it affecting the rest of the drum set part? It could be either cymbals or a rhythmic notation with drum notation in the same bar.

It should be as simple as selecting all of the notes that need to be stem-down, and choosing Edit > Percussion > Change Voice > Extra Down-stem Voice. It’s important that you choose all of the existing notes that are already in the normal down-stem voice as well as the up-stem notes so that they all go into the same “extra” voice.

Thank you Daniel for the reply

That solution seems to move the stems all in the same direction, but the rests are everywhere, and the beams went away.

This chart is in 6/8 by the way.
Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 9.50.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 9.49.58 PM.png

Did you move all those notes to the same voice, or merely change their stem direction? Those are two different things.

If you put them all in the same voice, you won’t get those extra rests.

Hi Dan,
I followed Daniel’s suggestion.

Edit > Percussion > Change Voice > Extra Down-stem Voice

I did just try Edit > Percussion > Change Voice > Extra Down-stem Voice 1, and got this (see pic).

This is what I want, but now is there a way to remove those extra rests?
Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 10.12.16 PM.png

Odd, there shouldn’t be any rests if everything is in the same voice. Turn on voice colors. Are there still multiple voices represented in that bar? Surely there must be. Perhaps you didn’t select everything before sending it to a downstem voice.

I turned on colors. There are two voices. I have it set in notation options so the cymbals are stems up, and drums are stems down.

The first pic shows the two voice colors, then the second pic shows what happens after I do:

Edit > Percussion > Change Voice > Extra Down-stem Voice 1

What happens if you select and delete the triplet above the stave?

I’m heading to bed and have shut down for tonight, but will try this when I get going tomorrow. Thanks!

That did the trick! I’m getting nit-picky, but is there a way to hide the whole rest so it looks a little cleaner?
Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 9.47.37 AM.png

I actually spoke too soon. It did not do the trick. It got rid of all the extra rests, but moved the cymbal hit one note to the right. I’ll keep fiddling.

Unfortunately you can’t hide rests on percussion kits using Remove Rests, but it might be that you can set the ‘Ends voice’ property on the last note in the up-stem voice in the preceding bar and that will have the effect of suppressing it.

Thanks Daniel, i’ll try that. All things considered, creating drum parts is infinitely more intuitive in Dorico. Bravo